“Beef ribs in the dark.”
Review of Butcher & The Boar

Butcher & The Boar
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & The Boar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,980 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$10 - US$44
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Direct line stops on the #4 and #6 routes along Hennepin.
Description: Butcher & the Boar opened in 2012 in Minneapolis, MN, with a simple idea. Create a festive and communal dining experience with American craft food, beer and bourbon. We are a steak and smoked meats house. We believe that top notch ingredients sourced from local farms and premium purveyors and prepared with superior culinary technique is the secret to great food.
Reviewed 5 October 2016

I had heard of B&tB in numerous magazines and online, so I was excited to try it out. Appreciated the valet parking in the busy downtown area as well. First class bourbon selection, with some single barrel house labels from big distilleries. Hot link croquettes were very good. The beef rib was excellent except for the sea salt sprinkled on top; it was a little too coarse and, with the sauce on top, made the meat a little too salty. I liked the caramelized broccoli side, and the passionfruit ice cream was tasty. Service was good, nothing exceptional, but at the level you would expect for the price point. This is personal preference on my part, but I thought the restaurant was very dark inside and could have used more interior light, even for the hipster-hardwood-romantic type of atmosphere. Overall though, it was worth going to- they're doing good stuff here.

Date of visit: September 2016
Douglas V, General Manager at Butcher & The Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review B&B . Sounds like you had some great choices off the menu!! I love the long rib as well. We will work on the lighting!!

Reviewed 4 October 2016

I had family visiting from out of the country for the Ryder Cup in the Twin Cities and one of them mentioned this restaurant. I've had a few friends mention how good it was, and after eating there I feel like I've missed the buzz... The food was good and the service was nice, but I wasn't floored by the "amazingness" of it all. To be honest, I felt like it was just another steakhouse with some sausages thrown in the mix. If I had to go again, I think I'd actually choose the sausages over the steak (they were quite good). Overall, I thought it was too expensive for what was offered and I don't feel, in my opinion, that it merits the unconditional praise given to it (sorry guys).

Date of visit: October 2016

Tom, sorry we let you done. We do our best everynight to WOW our guests. I feel bad you didnt leave with that feeling. Please give us another try next time you are in MPLS..

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

Fantastic place .. Highly recommend this room for groups ... We had 20 people and the food and service were great.. This place is a must

Date of visit: October 2016

Ryder Cup was crazy!! We thank you for joining us during that epic week!!!

USA!!!!

Reviewed 3 October 2016

We were really looking forward to our planned meal at Butcher & the Boar, but it turned out to be a complete failure. I think we must take some of the blame, but the restaurant should do better on accommodating allergies.

My wife is lactose intolerant and allergic to bell peppers, chili and paprika. At this restaurant that meant the only side she could have was plain steamed broccoli, not even plain french fries were available. And entrees were SEVERELY restricted as well. The waiter seemed more in love with himself and up-selling the specials than in trying to accommodate my wife's needs.

After having a cocktail each, and I enjoyed the 'sharing plate' of four wood grilled oysters (in my world, 4 doesn't count as sharing plate), we decided to cut our losses and find somewhere else a little more flexible for dinner.

Date of visit: October 2016

Im very sorry to hear about your experience.. We do our best to accommodate all of our guests. It sounds like we could have done better for you. If you are ever back in MPLS please give us another try. I will personally look into your situation.

Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

This place came recommended from a coworker. I entertained some clients and it was a hit. The wine list was great, the food even better and the atmosphere topped it all. Major shout out to the staff for the impeccable service.

Date of visit: October 2016

Thanks Joshua!! That means a lot. Im glad you had a nice time with us! We hope to see you soon.