“Upscale atmosphere, good food, great service”
Review of Tea House

Tea House
Ranked #181 of 1,890 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Reviewed 13 December 2017

Dinner here on a cold winter night consisting of:

1. Best Wonton soup we had ever had, hands down. Awesome broth. yumyumyum
2. Sauteed A Choy (similar to Bok Choy) that was excellent
3. Half a smoked duck. I liked the flavor but the wife found it too smoky (she generally does with anything smoked)
4. Kung Pao Chicken -- this is the only dish that came close to disappointing. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with it, but in a Szechuan restaurant I was expecting a signature Szechuan dish to be a bit hotter and more impressive. Instead it was one of the sweetest and mild Kung Pao's I have ever had. Didn't stop me from eating it but if you want it hot, you better tell them because this one seemed to be tailored to Minnesota tastes. Which is really odd because at least half of the patrons on our night seemed to be Chinese students from the U.

We had very attentive service from "Eric" our waiter. Couple other minor complaints:

1. We ordered soup and it came about 2 minutes before all the rest of our food. We waited on Wonton soup for 20+ minutes.
2. Sit in a booth! The huge wooden chairs are medieval torture devices and after I got up to leave I felt like I had been in a very hard church pew for an hour and a half.
3. Parking is....tricky. They share a lot with a Days Inn hotel and there a ton of signs saying where you can and can't park. What parking there is, is limited. We had to park at the far end of a very icy lot.

Will probably come back since we live nearby.

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

We are locals that love Tea House and keep it in our regular rotation for eating out at.
The setting and the menu are great examples of authentic Chinese. I can't recall ever being served a dish that we complained about, and we have been going here for years.
The service at times can be consistently slow. Not so much from the kitchen but from the waitstaff itself. I'm not sure if it's a training issue or if they are understaffed. I still give them a five star as it's not enough to spoil the visits despite being consistently noticeable.
Some favorites to Americans wanting to stay in their comfort zone is the Cung King Spicy Fish . It will remind you of a Midwest Friday night fish fry meets intense heat. It's a hidden gem IMO. The Serrano beef is another that has reminders of familiar Midwest food spiced up.

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

We celebrated a birthday dinner at the Tea House, and started with appetizers. We ordered steamed buns, scallion pancakes, and wontons with cream cheese. Most cultures have some form of fried bread, and the scallion pancakes fit this category. They were hot off the grill and tasty. The buns were quite a bit larger than those I’ve ordered at other restaurants, and were no doubt less time consuming to prepare. The cream cheese wontons were well received. Next we had wonton soup. This was judged to be average compared to soup served in other Chinese restaurants in MN. Finally, the shredded pork with garlic sauce was flavorful, but hotter than expected given the “one chili” rating. It was hotter than the last time we’d ordered it. Chilis certainly vary in intensity and can be difficult to rate for that reason. I found it hard to eat for this reason, but my husband liked it.

The wait staff were very efficient and helpful. The setting is comfortable, with ample spaces for large groups and couples. Children appear to be welcome here.

1  Thank Peggy W
Reviewed 5 November 2017

Tried to eat here before a gopher game, but the people working there did not want to be there, never got service. They had a buffet going, but they had blown out, taken away all the little burners under the food, so it was gross and cold. We walked out.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We ordered the green beans, dan dan noodles, spicy beef and dumplings. All were very good. We went later at night, and by the end of our meal, you could tell they wanted us out of there.