“Superb chicken chow mein!”
Review of Cathay Chow Mein

Cathay Chow Mein
Ranked #1,058 of 1,823 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 16 September 2014

The chicken chow mein is so good! It is a clear sauce with white meat chicken and celery. I always order mine easy on the celery. The taste is consistent and the orders are always ready in ten minutes. The cashier is always sweet and friendly.

There are newer reviews for Cathay Chow Mein

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Average at best. We ordered from Cathay and although nothing was terrible, I just didn't care for it at all. I ordered the chicken stir fry, and the chicken itself was fine, but the selection of vegetables and the sauce weren't good. We all enjoyed the spring rolls, and the cream cheese puffs as our appetizers but the entrees just weren't very good. Other entrees we ordered were mongolian beef - which we didn't care for because it was mostly onion and a bit of beef, so again - not a good selection of vegetables. Overall disappointing.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My family have been buying lunch here on Sundays on the way home from church since the early 70s. The food is great and the staff is wonderful. There is one woman who knows my parent's mobile number and greets them by name. They always accommodate my dad's MSG intolerance. When I visit Minneapolis and pick up the order I always get a warm greeting. Even though I live overseas, I occasionally find myself craving their pork fried rice on Sundays. It's not fancy, but really good with wide variety.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I've been eating this Chinese food since I was little. Our family started going here when I was super young and I'm now 30 years old and it's probably the best Chinese take-out I've ever had! Literally is a hole-in-the-wall, like another reviewer said but the food is amazing! Everyone I know that has tried it agrees. I live in Uptown Minneapolis, so there are plenty of Chinese take-out places near me. I have yet to find one nearly as good. The woman behind the counter is always very friendly and the prices are good!

Reviewed 6 November 2011

This hole-in-the-wall Chinese Take-Out joint has been in business for over 60 years, and it's easy to see why: They have a menu of only about 25 items, no more, and they do them exceptionally well. Don't expect any place to sit and be served...this storefront is takeout only, and only has a few chairs in which to sit while your food is being prepared behind a wall whose paneling must be at least 40 years old. You can expect your food to be hot, fresh, thick, eggy, gooey, salty...in other words...PERFECT! I grew up on Chinese Take-Out like this back in Queens, NYC (the HOME of proper hole-in-the-wall Chinese Take-Out, thankyouverymuch!), and this surprise find here in Minneapolis compares quite favorably and is now a must-get for me whenever I'm in town on business.