“A recent Gather...”

Ranked #728 of 1,883 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$30 - US$60
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Vineland Place
Transit: Hennepin and Vineland Place.
Reviewed 14 December 2015

We had reservations last night for 615 prior to our 8pm showtime of the British Arrow Awards. The lounge was steady busy and there were a few people ahead of us when we arrived. Upon check in we were seated immediately in the brightest area, at one of the 4 tables for 2 shoved along the white wall. Disappointing. The rest of the restaurant had this nice ambiance of soft lighting and candles, while we had mini spotlights shining on us. The chatter and music competing with each other made it very difficult for us to converse. We were given waters right away but had to wait about 10 minutes to place a drink order. After that things went uphill, maybe it was the lovely strong drinks! I had my usual stoli and cran which was made perfect and had just the right amount of color. My husband had a holy grail beer and a vodka and hibiscus tea cocktail. They were offering quite a few british drinks and food options to honor the Arrows showings. Our food was excellent, we shared the lamb korma and the bison burger. We took our time, were not rushed, and had plenty of time to make it to our show which was excellent and may have to be an annual tradition!

Reviewed 5 December 2015

Sigh, I really don't like writing bad reviews but I hope it helps improve the service. Went for drinks at the bar prior to seeing the exhibit, or at least that was the intent. Had to wait 15 minutes at the bar for service (no exaggeration) while the one (female, blonde) bartender waited extensively on both couples to our either side. A little sad to be so completely ignored as she passed out complimentary food to the people on our right, plate after plate but neglected to take our order. Did I have mud on my face or something? Granted the bartender acknowledged us once about half way through our wait, but then went to fold napkins and other random nothings. Finally served... my husband ordered a wine (which she poured the wrong one, sigh) and he got his glass of wine about five minutes before I got my drink. For a place that has a short list of cocktails, the bartender had to flip through pages of recipes to make my cocktail that I ordered off their cocktail menu. And I think she made it wrong--came in a martini glass full of ice, didn't taste the ginger that was the only mixer. I surmised the bartender was brand new and lied on her application about having any experience whatsoever in the service industry. Hey, Gather, you should hire professional bartenders. No excuse. If you are new in Minneapolis and want a chic cocktail at a cool place, go to Seven or 112 Eatery or anywhere that cares about craft and service. Sorry, I won't be back. To Gather's credit, the hostess was perfectly pleasant and the food looked good.

Reviewed 5 December 2014

I have had many enjoyable meals here so my latest visit was quite a disappointment. It is a special place in a very cool museum overlooking a vibrant spot of Minneapolis. First Thursday is a special time every month with a new chef bringing new treats. Last night was the exception.
The dishes seemed behind the curve and the staff performance was off.
The complimentary amuse bouche, Beef Carpaccio was very nice. But then things went downhill.
The 3 appetizer options were french fries( good but this is the side on many entrees), mini grilled cheese ( 3 types but uninteresting and indistinguished) and scotch eggs( the only tasty thing on this plate is the mustard). Creativity is much needed here.
The entrees we liked was the chicken and the fish and chips, but these are not the type of dishes I expect at a hip/edgy restaurant. I tried the Banh Mi which lacked the crisp, vinegar marinated veges of this vietnamese street sandwich. I think the food needs some updating.

Now for the service. There was plentiful staff and the restaurant was not overly busy. Our server was friendly and attentive. She took our drink order and came back to take our food order before the drinks arrived. Maybe she needed to get the order to the kitchen quickly for some reason or maybe the bartender needed to open a new bottle of red. Then all the food, appetizers and entrees arrive at once. Appetizers and side dishes were cold. We gave our full order at the servers request, we never thought she would assume we wanted it all at once. We felt like we were being rushed. We did get apologies from the server, the manager and the managing chef Josh Brown. The restaurant wasn't overly busy so I don't really know what the problem was but some serious staff training ( both kitchen and servers) and some recipe development is in order for this place.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Somehow, we managed to get a group of 10 seated at the prime, corner window during the holiday rush - score! The apps & cocktails were fabulous. I had the shrimp fries, bbq beef banh mi and tart tonic. My husband had the buttermilk chicken - it was very juicy but very subtle in flavor compared to everything else. The veggies with it were fabulous, as was my entree - chocolate croissant bread pudding. Yes, you heard me right, and it was divine... not too much, wonderful melee of flavors.

They did a great job of accommodating our large group as they slowly sauntered in after fighting traffic for over half an hour. And we were not rushed, yet out the door before the next reservation and in time for our 8:00 British Arrow Awards screening. Annie our server was spot on with recommendations. Loved it, recommend it, would definitely return.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Dining on the deck on a nice day cannot be beat, ambiance, plus the food is delicious. Small, creative menu well prepared and presented. Nice wine list.