Eastwood Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sunset Motel(Staples)
View Hotel
Madden's on Gull Lake(East Gull Lake)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed here in December 2012 and had a bad experience with no housekeeping (desk person said the cleaning staff was 'off' for the Xmas holiday). Against our better judgement, came back again June 14-16 for family graduation. Due to the no housekeeping in December, Saturday morning around 10am I called the front desk and asked if they had housekeeping services working today as we wanted our room serviced. Desk person who answered said yes housekeeping was working and we would have the room cleaned. We left at 10:30am and even saw the housekeeper in the hallway by the room next to ours. Fingers crossed. Nope. Came back to room at 10:30 pm and everything was as we left it. Sink in room was leaking so badly that water was running off counter onto carpet so all towels in room were wet. Hubby went to desk to get more towels and ask about lack of housekeeping, unprofessional desk person did not care at all, didn't even make fake, token offer to look into it. Even tho it's a pain to drive 30-40 minutes away from family, next time we will drive to Brainerd to stay in a national brand hotel with professional staff who are accountable for their actions.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car or keep driving
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine55416
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My husband and I arrived Dec23 and checked out on Dec 25. 2012. This place is the only place in motley unless you stay at the super 8 in staples. This place could be so much nicer with just a little effort on the owner's part. When we arrived, no one was at the desk which I understand in a small town with a mostly empty motel. We rang the bell and someone came running down from upstairs. Barefoot, in sweats, and looking like she belonged on the website people of walmart. Very unprofessional. Not that I expect a uniform but I do expect pants and shoes. She told us there would be no maid service during our stay as it was a "holiday" and they didn't want the staff to work. Or maybe she was the only person that works there and she didn't want to clean, who knows. two nights so we let it go. pool area reeks of chlorine, i doubt they are actually testing the levels based on the smell. Vending and ice machines were in first floor hallway. Obviously had a problem with leaking ice machine as towels were piled up on the floor and many old water stains on the carpet. Online we had booked a room with two queen sized beds. got to room and it was two double beds. Outdated bedding, the nasty polyester bedspreads. VERY small bathroom with tub/shower and toilet, sink was outside in room. no towel bars outside of tub/toilet room so if someone is showering and you wash your hands, there is no place to hang the hand towel. No counter space around sink-nothing for toothbrushes, make up, hair products, very small edge around sink. The smallest sliver of 'face' soap I've ever seen and there was a jug of some type of wash stuck to the wall of the shower. Travel with your own toiletries. I agree with another reviewer that these were the smallest towels I've seen. besides the two double beds, there was an open space for hanging clothes, a long low dresser with a flat screen tv and coffee machine, a round table with one doctor office type chair and a stained easy chair with ottoman. Wallpaper seams starting to peel. Seriously, if they would get rid of the old wall paper, update the carpet, wall art and get new bedspreads, the rooms would look so much better. again, small town, only real motel, so they don't feel the need to update. Our room was on the end away from the lobby/pool so we parked at the end of the parking lot and the outside door was not security locked and did not require a room key to enter. at midnight we walked right in, so could anyone else, a bit of a safety concern. The first morning we got up for breakfast. white bread, white bagels and one toaster. Old, stale donuts. coffee, juice. 2 kinds of dry, cold cereal and a jug of milk in the sink. I did a bagel as I was worried about temp control of milk. At least the Super 8 in Staples has waffles. Very unusual to go someplace where they don't have at least instant oatmeal or some hot option. No fruit, no yogurt, not a lot of options, we didn't bother to go to breakfast any other days. We went to the front desk as requested when we wanted additional towels, remember no maid service. Not the worst stay, not the best stay, just disappointing for the price. Since it was Christmas and we knew we'd be driving around after midnight we wanted to stay close to family, When we stay in summer, we'll stay in Brainerd, further to drive but so many more name brand hotel options for the same price and so many more amenities.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christine55416
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Upon making the initial reservation for 3 nights, I asked the price and the reservationist said "I don't know; he always changes them." When I checked in I asked again and the clerk said $69.00. She DID NOT TELL ME THE PRICE WAS HIGHER for the 2nd and 3rd nights. The so-called bath towels were only slightly bigger than hand towels. lThe breakfast consisted of coffee, juice and boxed donuts. The TV reception was terrible. They certainly have a captive audience in the area and no competition.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter because of the highway noise in front. No elevator so if you don't climb stairs, you are better off downstairs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank doribeee
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Staying here for work and this place stinks. Literally. Got stuck in a smoking room and it is terrible. Even burying your head in a pillow is like taking a drag. Tried to get a different room, and instead I get a cold reception because the person behind the desk is a smoker and I was offending her because I am not a smoker. Also there is other peoples hair on my towels. And the shower drains so slow. Have you heard about this new thing called hot water? Maybe this hotel could get some. Drive by this place and go anywhere else. I'm gonna sleep in my car!!!!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ted N
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed here one night recently, the rooms were clean ... a bit on the run down side.

Breakfast was included, but would recommend skipping it.

A couple days later, on the way back home we stopped in to see if they had found a phone charger in our room .. without looking in a lost and found of any sort we were told nothing had been found .. when we asked if the room could be checked quickly we were told flat out no.

It is what it is, so take it for what it's worth.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends