“Manager called cops because I complained!!!”
Review of Colonial Inn

Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New Ulm
Reviewed 8 February 2015

Went to the manager and told her that the toilet was running and the TV had no sound and would not turn off. She told me there was nothing she would do. She then told me she was calling the cops. Twenty minutes later, the cops knocked on my door waking me up saying that the manager said I was throwing f-bombs at her. After they came in and talked to me over the running toilet, they said to forget it and left. Never, never stay here.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
6  Thank William C
nucolonialinn, Owner at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2015

William,

I'm sorry you had a problem with the TV and toilet in your room. We take pride in our room condition and spend thousands of dollars a month on repairs and maintenance. We repaired the toilet and replaced the TV soon after you checked out. We would have fixed it during your stay, however the employee working did not feel safe alone in your hotel room with you. The safety of our employees is extremely important to us, and I fully stand behind her decision to call 911. (This was her first time doing so in 15 years here). You were disrespectful, loud and obnoxious , and guests in nearby rooms complained about your noise throughout the night. We offered to give you a full refund, but you refused to leave. If I had been working that night, Please consider staying with one of the other fine lodging establishments the next time you choose to stay in New Ulm.
Thanks,
Brandon

Reviewed 26 November 2014

My boyfriend and I came to New Ulm to visit some family and friends for the night. The Colonial Inn was recommended to us by some friends. The price was great and the location was perfect. It is only a couple minute drive to the Schell's Brewing Company and to numerous restaurants in town. The owners were very nice and helpful, especially when we needed a wine opener! The rooms are a bit smaller than expected but we didn't need much more, it had everything we needed. We will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank K_M_F890
Reviewed 1 November 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Colonial Inn in New Ulm and was very impressed. The owners and staff treated me very respectfully and made sure I had everything I needed for a great stay. The room was small, but clean and an excellent value.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2014

This was a last minute trip for us and there were limited rooms in New Ulm. The website says newly remodeled and even has a Trip advisor rating on their main page saying "Bravo! Excellent rating!"

This room was terrible, looks like they attempted to remodel but did not actually finish. Crayon all over the back of the bathroom door, filthy walls throughout, even the lamp shade was damaged. The wall was buckling from what looked like water damage, and considering there was exposed drywall screws and tape in the ceiling and shower, not surprised.

The heat kicked on while we were asleep and woke us with 75 degree temp. Television only worked if the lights were on. The lights from outside shined into the room (just cheap blinds on the window) and we had to put a blanket up to block it out.

We paid almost $75 for this room, never again. Should have just left and tried to find something else but were too tired at that point.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristine R
nucolonialinn, Owner at Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2014

Thank you for the review. It really does help us make positive changes at the Colonial Inn.
The lampshade was an easy fix. We replaced it as soon as we saw this review. I then inspected the other lampshades in the hotel and found a few more that were cracked. We replaced those as well.

The remodeling process in the room you stayed in has been ongoing. We have spent more than $5,000 on upgrades in this room alone. We fully remodeled the room in 2012, just to have the room trashed earlier this year. We repainted and carpeted the room in June of 2014.

When we added the microwave, refrigerator, and in room coffee we put it where there was previously a desk with a lamp. The outlet was wired for the lamp to be on the lightswitch. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have solved the problem.

The bathroom door has been repainted.

Please give me a call at (507) 354-3128 if you have any further comments or questions. We look forward to earning back your business.
Thanks,
Brandon Jacobson
Owner/General Manager

Reviewed 12 October 2014

While the host was friendly and helpful, the rest of our stay was totally unsatifactory! The carpets,walls and chairs were filthy. The shower surround had black mildew on the caulking. Everything was dingy and grimy. My daughter and her husband left there with bug bites on their feet and ankles. The hotel host did apologize and refund the price of their room

• Stayed: October 2014
2  Thank Kitkatkk

I am extremely sorry for your negative experience at the Colonial Inn.
I talked with a member of your party after checkout, and they told me about the "bites" they received. Hotel industry standard is to refund the money immediately, no questions asked. I then called Plunketts Pest Control and they inspected the room and found no sign of bed bugs. As an extra precaution we steam cleaned the carpets and replaced all soft goods in the room

We have had recent turnover in the housekeeping department, and during your stay (second weekend of oktoberfest) we had a new housekeeper in your section of the hotel. I truly believe our rooms are cleaner now then ever before.

Thank you for reading my response. If there is anything else we can do please give me a call back at (507) 354-3128. We would love to earn your business back.
Regards,