“Excellent Chinese food and service”
Review of Szechuan

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Szechuan
Ranked #53 of 104 Restaurants in Roseville
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: northwest corner of Snelling and Count Rd B intersection across from Target
Reviewed 29 July 2015

This is our family's favorite Chinese restaurant in the Twin Cities. The quality and quantity of food is excellent, and the service is always really good. The dan-dan noodles are my favorite appetizer, and the Mongolian Beef is exceptional. Its great to find a quality asian restaurant in the suburbs.

Reviewed 30 April 2015

Szechuan is a good Chinese restaurant. The food was good, the service was fast, and the restauarant was clean.

They specialize in Szechuan style food (traditionally spicy-hot) but the spiciness has been tamed for Minnesota tastes, and there are also non-spicy entrees. They had the most popular Chinese dishes plus some I'd never heard of before. (Anyone in the mood for Ma La You Boiled Fish with Pickled Mustard Greens?) Try the pumpkin stuff. (I can't remember the exact name.) It isn't especially filling but it is very entertaining.

Szechuan is tucked away in a small nondescript strip shopping center in the Roseville neighborhood of Saint Paul. The only reason I knew about it was because a friend lives near the restaurant and eats there often. To get to the restaurant, take Snelling Ave / Route 51, go west on County B Road W, then take an immediate right onto the access road which is W Snelling Drive. Go around the curve. The first left takes you into the parking lot. Szechuan is at the north end of the shopping center.

Reviewed 29 November 2014

If you love authentic Chinese (i.e. spicy dishes and foods that you never find in western restaurants) this place is for you! You can also practice your Mandarin!

I have always loved Chinese food, especially Szechuan food. While living in Shanghai China for two years I learned what real Szechuan food is like. And it is very hard to find in the Twin Cities. In fact, after searching around for a year I have only found three locations to get good Szechuan, and this is one of them.

My favorite dishes (order in Mandarin for little more fun): Ching King Spicy Chicken (Chóngqìng làzǐ jī or 重庆辣子鸡), dry-fried green beans (干煸四季豆 gan bian si ji dou), Spicy Water boiled fish 麻辣水煮鱼 or Ma La Shuǐ zhǔ yú , and spicy tofu (麻辣豆腐 ma la dou fu) - you really should try the spicy tofu! I didn't like tofu at all before trying 麻辣豆腐 ma la dou fu, but I love this dish!!

About the service...it is also authentic Chinese (well, mostly anyway), which means the wait staff only stops by when asked. Don't be shy about raising your hand or calling out to the wait staff when you want something. This is the way it works in China, unlike typical US restaurants where the wait staff is constantly stopping by to see if you need anything and then the manager stops by two minutes later to see of you are getting great service (I pretty much hate the typical US service.)

1  Thank DaleLotts
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Had the won tons in chili sauce. Very good. Pork in garlic sauce was excellent. If I have one critique it was the fried rice. It was sticky and had no flavor.

1  Thank FROGGYLOVER60
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

I have worked in Roseville for 10 years and never knew of this place - tucked away in the small strip mall by Outback. Very clean interior! Place was packed by Noon. Tea was perfect. Food was absolutely delish! SO many choices. The menu is like an intense photo book, no joke! Have out of the ordinary dishes as well as the usual. Biggest perk for me: I did not get the typical upset stomach after eating this ethnic food. One downfall: I received my meal about 5 minutes before my co-worker. Overall, highly recommend. I know I will be back there soon!