“Good lunch buffet, horribly loud plate-clashing noise by waitress”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Grand Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #637 of 911 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 12 June 2015

Seven others and I had a business lunch at Grand Shanghai. We all chose the buffet, which had a nice assortment of dishes, including some unusual ones. The food was quite tasty and the interior of the restaurant is pleasant. Typical dishes included sweet and sour chicken, General Tso's chicken, beef with string beans, egg rolls, lo mein, and an interesting dish with pork and round potato pancakes. The reason I gave this place three stars was that when the waitress cleared tables, she took the plates over to a stand with large plastic buckets (that presumably would end up in the kitchen to wash when they were full) and tossed the plates in so loudly that it was impossible to hear the conversation. It was *jarringly,* sometimes excruciatingly loud (I'm surprised the dishes didn't break). This is not the only place I've eaten where wait staff clash dishes onto each other in a receptacle. It's horribly rude for the customers. It doesn't take much additional effort to place the dishes quietly on top of each other. It was as if she were trying to make as much noise as possible. I would have said something but I was a guest. So if you're OK with that level of plate noise, I'd say that the food is OK--nothing really special but good, solid Chinese.

Reviewed 9 May 2015 via mobile

Grand Shanghai is a good option for Chinese food in St. Paul. They have a wide variety of items on the menu and everything I've had here has been good. They also have a decent buffet at a great price.

Is it the greatest Chinese food in the history of Chinese food? No. But it's a good local option that doesn't disappoint.

Reviewed 11 November 2014

Most of the people seemed to be from the area and perhaps slightly older. Therefore, the food is not spiced and certainly not hot. I ordered Kung Pau chicken and did not see evidence of one single chili in the dish. It was very bland. they brought me some spice mix , but that defeats the idea of the dish. I saw that the buffet was well represented for food-- but didn't have any of it. the people working were nice.
but this is baby food and I would not go back. the few dishes that warranted spice should have been spiced for people like me.

Reviewed 25 October 2014

The food was good but not amazing. I did take out and it arrived on time. The restaurant itself is not great for eating in.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have been to Grand Shanghai three or four times now, trying different menu items each visit. The food has always been very tasty, with fresh cooked vegetables and tender meats in flavorful sauces. The service was quick and friendly. We have always had left overs for lunch the next day from our dinner entrees. Most of the entrees are about $10, so I think it is a great value!

I haven't been there for their lunch buffet yet, but would like to try it.