“Sad lunch buffet”

Grand Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #637 of 911 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 31 July 2017

Was in the area one day. I took one look at the buffet and considered walking out, but we were pressed for time. A few items on the line were eventually refreshed and were fair in quality, no better. The rest looked like greasy meat and over-steamed vegetables sitting in congealed grey goo. I would never return to this place, not even if it was free.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

Grand Shanghai Restaurant is the only Chinese Restaurant on the block. There is nothing fancy about it. Just plain and simple Chinese food served in an big room dotted with tables covered in white tablecloths. Its a "no sweat" place.
One goes in, gets seated quickly and looks at the menu and order. We had the Shanghai Spring rolls, Hot and Sour soup, Chicken with cashew nuts, Mixed fried rice. and Szechuan shrimp. The food was ordinary.We had to use the sauces to flavor the dishes.
The friendly atmosphere made up for the loss of flavor. The staff is friendly. They also have a buffet which serves a number of dishes and its a jackpot for the students studying in the surrounding colleges.

Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

Average (that's being kind) Chinese American food. I will forego the descriptive adjectives I may generally pepper my experience with as the restaurant also decided to forego the flavor. I had the Lemon Chicken, which was basically heavily breaded chicken with a lemon "gel" on top of it. My Husband had the Egg Foo Young (which was neither Egg nor Young) but a bland patty covers in gravy. Heavy chicken gravy. I had to send my glass of wine back due to it being past its prime... Vinegar rings a bell but old red wine does not. Do not go. Just No... Don't do it.

Reviewed 28 January 2016

Four of us met for dinner here last night. My wife and I shared the appetizer tray and shared the Mango Chicken. Both items were prepared correctly and were quite tasty. The people we met had the egg rolls as an appetizer and shared the 1/2 roasted duck and Chicken with Vegetable Noodles. They both said their choices were very good. The only downside is the restaurant was not very busy. It looks as if most of their traffic is with take out and delivery service. If last night is an indication, reservations are not needed.

Reviewed 12 June 2015

Seven others and I had a business lunch at Grand Shanghai. We all chose the buffet, which had a nice assortment of dishes, including some unusual ones. The food was quite tasty and the interior of the restaurant is pleasant. Typical dishes included sweet and sour chicken, General Tso's chicken, beef with string beans, egg rolls, lo mein, and an interesting dish with pork and round potato pancakes. The reason I gave this place three stars was that when the waitress cleared tables, she took the plates over to a stand with large plastic buckets (that presumably would end up in the kitchen to wash when they were full) and tossed the plates in so loudly that it was impossible to hear the conversation. It was *jarringly,* sometimes excruciatingly loud (I'm surprised the dishes didn't break). This is not the only place I've eaten where wait staff clash dishes onto each other in a receptacle. It's horribly rude for the customers. It doesn't take much additional effort to place the dishes quietly on top of each other. It was as if she were trying to make as much noise as possible. I would have said something but I was a guest. So if you're OK with that level of plate noise, I'd say that the food is OK--nothing really special but good, solid Chinese.