“Don't go”

Grand Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #638 of 908 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Got a deal off of Groupon. Not worth it. Food has no flavor especially the egg rolls. Was not good at all. The buffet looked really old too. Lady was nice but won't go back there to eat.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Was in the area one day. I took one look at the buffet and considered walking out, but we were pressed for time. A few items on the line were eventually refreshed and were fair in quality, no better. The rest looked like greasy meat and over-steamed vegetables sitting in congealed grey goo. I would never return to this place, not even if it was free.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

Grand Shanghai Restaurant is the only Chinese Restaurant on the block. There is nothing fancy about it. Just plain and simple Chinese food served in an big room dotted with tables covered in white tablecloths. Its a "no sweat" place.
One goes in, gets seated quickly and looks at the menu and order. We had the Shanghai Spring rolls, Hot and Sour soup, Chicken with cashew nuts, Mixed fried rice. and Szechuan shrimp. The food was ordinary.We had to use the sauces to flavor the dishes.
The friendly atmosphere made up for the loss of flavor. The staff is friendly. They also have a buffet which serves a number of dishes and its a jackpot for the students studying in the surrounding colleges.

Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

Average (that's being kind) Chinese American food. I will forego the descriptive adjectives I may generally pepper my experience with as the restaurant also decided to forego the flavor. I had the Lemon Chicken, which was basically heavily breaded chicken with a lemon "gel" on top of it. My Husband had the Egg Foo Young (which was neither Egg nor Young) but a bland patty covers in gravy. Heavy chicken gravy. I had to send my glass of wine back due to it being past its prime... Vinegar rings a bell but old red wine does not. Do not go. Just No... Don't do it.

Reviewed 28 January 2016

Four of us met for dinner here last night. My wife and I shared the appetizer tray and shared the Mango Chicken. Both items were prepared correctly and were quite tasty. The people we met had the egg rolls as an appetizer and shared the 1/2 roasted duck and Chicken with Vegetable Noodles. They both said their choices were very good. The only downside is the restaurant was not very busy. It looks as if most of their traffic is with take out and delivery service. If last night is an indication, reservations are not needed.