“Affordable minimalism”

Budget Host Virginia
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Virginia
Reviewed 8 March 2015

I was in Virginia MN for the annual Pepsi Challenge Cross Country Ski Race and just needed a bed on a Friday night. I paid less than $60 for a clean room and a comfortable bed, TV, a sink and a small bathroom with a full bath. My only criticism is that the heater in the room is basically a forced air unit with only OK temperature controls. With the heat, on the room was a little too warm. I finally just turned it off and wore long underwear, socks and a T shirt to bed and was very comfortable. This hotel is not nearly as nice as others in the area, but it is much more affordable. If I had been traveling with my wife, I probably wound not stay there, but I don't mind minimalism when traveling by myself. It is certainly better than most other comparably priced hotels that I have stayed at. I plan to stay there again when I come for next year's Pepsi Challenge.

The front desk is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., but there is a phone number that you can call posted at the door of the office if you arrive after 10 p.m. I arrived at 11 p.m., called the phone number and the guy running the place was there in about 30 seconds to cheerfully check me in. So, if you anticipate arriving late, call ahead and let the front desk know. Also, if you are going to check out before 10 a.m., let the front desk know ahead of time and leave the key in your room or in the key drop.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank James M

Reviewed 17 February 2015

I thought I would be okay as the rate was $80 a night when everyone was over$100. The website said that there was continental breakfast and when I got there the person said that they haven't had that in three years. I told him it was on his site still which I showed him. My biggest issue is that the rooom needed a serious restoration. The springs in the mattress were almost coming through the fabric and were very uncomfortable to sleep on. The bathroom sink was leaking on the floor behind the sink and the sink stopper lever was broken. The entire room felt scketchy and was not comfortable. It would have been worth it to stay probably most anywhere else. Oh also the towels, bedding need replacement along with the mattress.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank unhappywithmystay
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Run run fast and far away from this place!!! Never ever have I seen such a nasty hotel/motel in all my traveling....bugs smashed on the walls...mold....nasty old bed n blankets are dirty the carpet looks to be the place to grow plants it's so full of dirt n stains...the manager is very hard to understand and very rude we left and found another hotel!!

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stay Away, I don't think I have been at a nastier hotel since the 80's. Carpet dirty, wallpaper falling off the wall, matress was gross. I slept in my clothes on top of the bedspread and and grab the other one off the other bed just to find a big stain on the back side of it. I only stayed here because there was nothing else closer than 25 miles. Next time I will make the drive and stay in Hibbing or even Duluth, anywhere but here.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank davmach1
Reviewed 21 June 2014

First and foremost, the photos they provide online look nothing like this hotel in person. One could say, 'that's what you get for booking online', but I've booked the majority of my hotels online for the last 10-14 years and have Never been deceived so badly! At Least 4 hard drug users live here on a monthly level. One of which is our neighbor. The rooms had more than 20 flies and 30 mosquitos to greet us as well as a very distinct musky smell covered up with cheap incense. A full bottle of Febreeze did not mask the smell. The walls are paper thin and our neighbor tenant (not guest) had a couple small dogs that barked all hours of the night when other tenants stopped by for illicit activity. Seedy tenants walked the parking lot all night and sleep overall with our 4 month old child was non-existent. We were going to eat the costs and get another hotel, but everything was booked around town. We nearly opted to just sleep in our cars as that would have been a more comfortable sleep, but instead we stayed up all night laying in our foul mess waiting for the sun to rise. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. Comical really how bad this place truly is. On a positive note, they did offer free wifi, so I was able to make this review in my poor excuse of a hotel room.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Turn around and run away.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family