“Reasonably priced home cooked Chinese food”
Review of China Star

China Star
Ranked #34 of 46 Restaurants in Waite Park
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

After eating in numerous corporate franchise restaurants while driving across the country, we were fed up with their blah food and blah menus. So we tried this place, an all you can eat Chinese buffet. We really liked it

The food obviously is cooked with care by a real Chinese cook. Everything we tried (and we tried everything) tasted great. This is a family run restaurant and, although the carpet looks well used, otherwise is quite clean. Indeed, as some of their last diners we watched them cleaning it.

So, if you like Chinese food without the Panda Express corporate dictated portions and recipes, give the China Star a try.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Loved the China Star first time I came to St. Cloud. However, additional visits have left me with a deteriorated opinion. Today (Sunday) my friend and I went to have lunch, around 1:45. I have to agree with prior comments about this goofy, dirty side door entrance issue. There are big double doors right at the main entrance, but maybe people are dining and dashing, or something. Parking is sort of stupid, with 3 spots in front and not easily manuevered into or out of, and the rest of the lot opposite the building with the door/ramp. Tired dollar store plastic flowers adorn the restaurant, and typical paper lantern and cheap chotchkes; tired wooden lattice. We were seated at a booth upon request, which was nice. I looked at the wall and all I could glean from it was that some kid sneezed up a gloober of chocolate pudding that remains dripping and hardened on the wall. YUCK. Maybe could toss in a free beverage, but they are extra so we stick with ice water with a lemon. THE HOT AND SOUR SOUP IS TO DIE FOR, with the crispy fat fried wontons for crunch. Had a slice of "barbecue chicken", which I couldn't swallow as it tasted like it was 30 minutes from complete spoiled chicken. The Cocunut Shrimp, which I enjoy, was super fishy and tasted of old oil. General Tso's was hard and overcooked. The House Mei Fun tasted like it was burnt. Honey Chicken, chicken broccoli, green beans, and other mixed vegetable and meat entrees were good, as was the yakitori. I like the variety of desserts, like watermelon, mandarin oranges, tapioca pudding, ice cream cones. This place feels dirty and smells like a dirty restaurant. Our server was polite but didn't inquire about separate checks. I was wanting to arrange for a take-out order of hot and sour soup and another entree, but our server was confused and ultimately I decided to pass on spending any more here.
The restaurant needs to be cleaned on the Mondays it's not open, and maybe invest in some decor from the 90's+. I give it an average today because of friendly server, some good items but dicey others. El Loro across the street will be my go-to in this neighborhood for a bit.

Reviewed 23 October 2016

The buffet has a wide variety of foods, so everyone can find something they enjoy. You can also get takeout.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

Ok so maybe it's just because we went on a Weekend, but it was about 85% seafood. Being allergic to almost anything in the water, that's not a good thing for me personally, and maybe I'm a spoiled American, but the point of a buffet (at least to ME) is that there should be something for everyone. These guys need to go to the buffet at literally any casino to see how that's done. If there had been a sesame chicken or pepper steak kind of thing would have been great for me.

Reviewed 14 May 2016

When I wanted Chinese, this was my go to place, usually meeting a friend for lunch. Went for dinner and was disappointed. Most of my favorites were no where to be found. But there was plenty of seafood options on a Thursday evening. Didn't know it had turned into a seafood buffet for dinner. Will stick to lunch buffet.