Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
It is what it is: small but spectacular and full of heart

Reviewed 16 October 2020
papertravel
Alexandria, Louisiana
Excellent

Reviewed 7 September 2020
Dixie_Windham

All reviews train ride splash pad ropes course merry go round animals seem well taken care prairie dogs new orleans play area kids love carousel tiger exhibits sloths mining jaguar additions
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 October 2020

I don't know why I'm even writing a review ... check out the tons of extremely positive reviews and see for yourself the joy pretty much every visitor can attest to. We love zoos and have been to zoos all over the US (San Diego and you name the zoo, we've been there) but not sure we could ever find a zoo so heartfelt and endearing and well-cared for (Caldwell zoo in Texas is a second favorite). We are going to the Hattiesburg zoo this weekend and cannot wait. I feel so grateful for this zoo and that it's only several hours drive from our Louisiana home.

Date of experience: October 2020
1  Thank papertravel
Reviewed 7 September 2020

There is never a bad day when you visit the Hattiesburg Zoo! Some may think, well it's not a very big zoo, but it doesn't have to be to be outstanding! The grounds are well kept, the staff if friendly, and the spotlight is always on the animals. And the animals are always well cared for and healthy! The new additions being built for new animals coming soon are beautiful. The train and carousel are charming. The splash pad is great during the hot MS summers. The kids love the ropes course, and mining for gems is always a favorite. I promise you won't be disappointed. Like I said, there's never a bad day at the Hattiesburg ZOO.

Date of experience: July 2020
1  Thank Dixie_Windham
Reviewed 5 September 2020 via mobile

It's not huge but they have a diverse variety of animals and excellent, well thought out, exhibits and decorations. There are several opportunities to pet animals. There's a train. Lots to do for kids such as the bug playground, splash pad, and hill. Lots of shade. Definitely worth the trip and we will be going back.

Date of experience: September 2020
Reviewed 25 August 2020 via mobile

Small but perfectly decorated. My only complaint is mapping isn’t great. They’re adding on to the zoo now and I think it’ll be even better.

Date of experience: August 2020
Reviewed 6 August 2020 via mobile

I have to say how AWESOME this little zoo is! I am from near New Orleans and have been often to the larger Audubon Zoo and this was just as great but for different reasons! This is a great zoo as it has so many animals (monkeys, sloths, wallaby’s, tigers, panthers, etc) but in a smaller, more manageable setting. Also has in the middle a splash pad surrounded by cabanas you can rent and eat/drink food from the cafe! There is also a playground and tunnels for kids to go through to see the prairie dogs habitat.
For an additional cost, you can also HOLD A SLOTH! It is the most awesome experience if you are a sloth lover (like myself). But you will need to book this experience VERY EARLY as it only happens 2 days a week for a couple hours. You can always view the sloths, just not hold them. Everyone who works there really loves their job and are always helpful when you have any questions about the animals. Make sure if you are in Hattiesburg or the surrounding area you go to this great zoo!

Date of experience: July 2020