“What a Shame...”

Add it.
Russell C Davis Planetarium
Ranked #30 of 69 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: Be wowed by giant stars, glowing planets and distant galaxies all shown on a giant wrap-around screen at this engaging planetarium, one of the largest in the South.
Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

First I want to commend all the employees. Our school trip was great. The employees were very nice and did a great job. The engineer that ran the equipment took time to talk about the equipment and the movie we were to watch. Now on to the average rating I gave. The facilities have not been updated since at least the very early 1980's. It is poorly lit, dingie carpet, and smelled bad. It is obviously under funded by The City of Jackson, MS. I do not understand why the City of Jackson will not invest money back into things that obviously make the city money. This is a popular school field trip location. Tens of thousands of children visit this location every year. There was no Security or Police precence in this high crime area. I say shame on you City of Jackson for not maintaining this facility better. The City and Visitors deserve better.

5  Thank Devildog126

Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

I didn't realize this place only showed movies. We just happened to walk in 10 minutes before a showing of Black Holes so we went in. It was our family and one other couple. The movie was alright but I thought this place would offer more learning experiences. The gift shop is non existent, don't let the sign fool you.

3  Thank Nicole B
Reviewed 8 July 2016

This planetarium is really small, but they make do with what they have, and really offer an exceptional educational experience.

1  Thank John Y
Reviewed 22 October 2015

We brought our kids here and they really seemed to enjoy it. I do wish they could update it a little because things seemed a little run down. (Kids didn't mind though.)

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 August 2015

I remember going to the planetarium in the mid 80s and it was nice....fast forward to 2015 and the only thing that has changed is that it is run down. The same old equipment is till in use. Technology has expanded so much since the 80s but this place has not gotten the memo. The movies that they show are old 70s cheesy cartoons that the children have no interest in. They also only accept cash as they do not have a debit machine. This place is sad.

2  Thank sdavisnp