“Lots of walking!”

Rock Bridge Memorial State Park
Ranked #1 of 55 things to do in Columbia
More attraction details
Owner description: Just minutes from Columbia, Rock Bridge Memorial State Park gives visitors the chance to scramble, hike and bicycle through a scenic environment – and lets them peek into Missouri’s underworld. The park contains some of the most popular hiking trails in the state and also offers solitude while hiking in the Gans Creek Wild Area. Visitors can also see a large cave system with its rock bridge, sinkholes, a spring and underground stream at the Devil's Icebox. You can explore Connor's Cave in the light of the opening for a taste of the underground world.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We were in Kansas City for a business conference and stopped in Columbia on our way back to Michigan. I had read the reviews and we found the northern entrance and parking. We didn't realize how far north and the terrain. We were trying to read the map on my phone. We didn't have a printed map. I didn't think to print one, as the ones in Michigan you can get one at the entrance of the parks, even if they aren't manned. So, definitely print a map ahead of time. The address listed is an office, which was closed when we got there on Sunday.

We did enjoy the walk, although you are primarily looking down to the uneven ground and tree roots. We finally found the southern parking lot (these are my names for them, not official park names) and how close to the rock bridge and devil's ice box it is. So, not sure on the address but when you get to the address listed here on S Highway 163 keep going south til you get to the next parking lot. It's way closer.

It was so worth the hike when we got there. I really loved the rock bridge and devil's ice box. You could really feel a temperature difference as we walked down to the bottom. I would also advice bringing a real flashlight and not the one on your cellphone. Bring your camera, a flashlight, hiking foot gear and enjoy the scenery.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I came across some pictures of Devil's Icebox on Facebook and decided to check it out. Over Labor Day weekend I took the kids and we packed a lunch and headed out to the park. I was completely amazed with this place. The trails are clean and level, and the cave is absolutely amazing. I didn't realize that we could go deep into the cave so I only had my cell phone for a flashlight. I told the kids next time we will bring real gear and extra flashlights because once inside it is pitch black. I was just amazing a cave up and personal.

My suggestions if you decide to go:
1. Dogs are allowed that is a plus
2. Bring the right kind of shoes for water, and hiking
3. Pack a lunch
4. The walk to the cave has a lot of stairs up and then down into the cave so I would
not suggest for anyone who has knee issues.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Short (30 minutes) vigorous (steps, steps, steps) any kind of shoe (wood boardwalk) 1/2 mile trail that let's you see both Devil's icebox and Rock Bridge. Worth the stop if you are close and need to stretch your legs. Good place to walk the dog. Obviously a favorite of the locals.

1  Thank thomasRuthL
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Most state parks I've visited are well keep with tolerable out houses. Not this place! All, including the men's, we're so filthy they were unusable. This is not only my opinion but also a few others who walked in and immediately turned around.

Another bummer was when we got there within operating hours the tour was closed.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I love to hike and bike. Rock Bridge is great hiking. It provides nice rock trails and a very nice wooden trail that leads to Devil's Icebox. There are a lot of photo opportunities on all of these trails.
Bring your flashlights and take a walk into the cave. It has low ceilings in places and gets tight so beware! I highly recommend Rock Bridge State Park to anyone looking for a great hiking spot.