All reviews golf cart house manager amazing place pleasure of staying the perfect place to stay every morning slice of heaven santiago suzanne exercise paradise lounging town thunderstorms
Reviewed 26 October 2017

From the moment I first inquired about this place, Suzanne was very attentive and quick to communicate. She made the process quick and easy, being very accommodating, and helpful. A golf cart is not necessary but there are many stairs which was good exercise and needed to balance the lounging around the pool and beach time.
The place was spotless and cleaned every day but Sundays. Santiago and Tiade were very friendly and knowledgeable, should you want any recommendations on great places to eat, etc. The view is amazing and looks down upon the bay. It's a great place to get away from all the hustle happening on the beach and town. Sayulita is a neat place to visit with the downtown square coming alive at night. We had a friend meet us for a few days, he returned to extend his stay longer after he dropped us off in Puerto Vallarta as he loved it so much. I will return and have recommended this place to everyone I've spoken to since.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Last week my family and I had the wonderful pleasure of staying at Casa Kukana. I knew I was going to love it based on the photos online but the actual house/grounds far exceeded my wildest expectations. Our family of 6 rented all 3 rooms and had plenty of space. The yard is simply divine with beautiful and lush gardens, plenty of lounge chairs to relax in, an adorable shaded gazebo area and a gorgeous infinity pool overlooking the main beach of Sayulita. I loved that the home was up in the hills with a jungle feel and secluded from the hustle and bustle yet only a 5 minute walk or drive to town/the beach. I woke up every morning to watch the sunrise with the best view ever and LOVED watching the sunset and also some awesome thunderstorms from the yard. The rooms were all decorated with such great style (love the Moroccan vibe) and were kept very clean. Everything you can think of is provided (wifi, AC which feels amazing after a long day being outside, clean towels and beach towels, a BBQ, Smart TVs, a continuous flow of fresh water in a jug, everything you need to cook/eat, etc.). The owner, Suzanne, was so helpful and responsive when we were booking the place. We feel like she is one of our friends now :) Unfortunately we missed meeting her in person as she was out of the country but we had the absolute honor to meet Santiago and Asuzana (who live onsite) and they were overly helpful every single day and the hardest workers ever!!!! They took wonderful care of the rooms which were always immaculate when we came back. Santiago gave us rides anywhere we needed (even in the pouring rain). They made us amazing dinners and drinks (the best we had in Sayulita) and helped us with laundry (for a very reasonable fee which was 100% worth it). Meeting their family was the icing on the cake. They went over and above to make our stay even more enjoyable (including putting together a birthday party for one of the kids: pinatas, cake, games and all). Bottom line is CASA KUKANA IS THE PERFECT PLACE TO STAY. Our kids loved it so much and said we always have to stay at this house when we come to town. It is wonderful for couples and families alike. One piece of advice: do not rent a big car. Golf carts are much more convenient. Sayulita is now deeply engrained in my heart and I will 100% be coming back regularly and staying at Casa Kukana which is my definition of paradise!!!!! You will NOT regret making the choice to stay here! The best part is that it costs the same as a 3 star motel in California (where I live), SUCH A BARGAIN!!!!!! AMAZING PLACE with WONDERFUL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2016

Just finished our 3 week stay at Casa Kukana - a private one bedroom unit that is attached to a larger home, on a hill just above the main square and beach at Sayulita. Totally gorgeous ocean and jungle views from the bedroom, kitchen, living room, and private terrace. Even from the shower. We have stayed at one of Suzanne and Summer's other places on past trips, and were thrilled that they had a place available for us this time as well, because they are amazing hosts and have created some gorgeous properties. There are 2-3 flights of stairs from the street to the Zen Garden and pool, then a short flight up to the unit. We spent hours in the pool just reading books or enjoying the view of the beach and surf break below, or moving into the outdoor lounge under the palapa when it got a little too warm. Perfect spot for people who want peace and quiet but don't want to be too far away from town. It's about a 5 minute golf cart ride or 10 minute stroll to the plaza. There is golf cart parking right at the bottom of the stairs if you need it. My husband and I stayed in Casa Kukana, while our 11 year old stayed in the bedroom/bath immediately downstairs. It was a good mix of privacy/proximity for our family. Santiago and Asuzanna, the caretakers, were a huge asset, and took care of anything we needed from helping with bags to arranging taxi service to making sure the place was spotless every day. Definitely recommend!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2016

This is a beautiful place, from sunrise to sunset. The views are amazing. The pool relaxing. The grounds are very well maintained, we thought a stunning property. We went for the cost effective option and were situated in a lower west side apartment. Not great views, but a small sun deck offered a place to relax and have coffee in the morning. There was a palapa for yoga, or otherwise relax, nap, read, whatever. The unit came with a nice full bath, fridge, and hot stove. We had several meals in our unit. It had a full bed, and as a big man used to a king, we had some issues with sleep quality. There is AC, so if you wish you could sleep in a cool unit after a long hot day. We had few minor issues, like dog feces on the lawn every morning, eventually picked up, but not what you want in a place so picturesque. Some communication (semantics) issues like the cost of taxi, "both ways' versus "round trip" was confusing. I never met Suzanne, and neither did my my wife, but her son served as a good proxy. It is a short hike into Sayulita and back, down and up a nice hill so be advised. Also, we used the stairs or road around Villa Amor, much more eye catching than the winding, dusty road leading from town to Casa Kukana. Overall we very much enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want to pay, this was our only stay, but the upper levels looked amazing.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russell W
Reviewed 20 February 2016

We (2 of us) stayed in the English Country Bungalow for 1 week, the last of our 3 weeks in Sayulita.

We visit Sayulita annually and on this trip my regular casita was only available for 2 consecutive weeks, so I contacted Suzanne and this bungalow was available for our third week and we jumped on it. I am so glad we did. You will get a lot of exercise walking and hill climbing while visiting Sayulita, one of the things we like about the town. I had walked by this property on previous trips, and was intrigued by the hilltop location - just check out the photos - WOW. The view is to die for with incredibly well maintained grounds. Beautiful outdoor areas, to hang out like a rock star. I felt like my rich friends invited me over to stay at their estate/ocean villa!

My only concern prior to arriving was the bed size, somewhat small for 2 yanks; however, it worked out fine, and most importantly with the beds in Mexico, IT WAS VERY COMFORTABLE! The casita is small, but very beautiful, and has everything you need. Highly recommended, also if one needed to attend a wedding at Villa Amor, I'd stay here if possible. Great for a single person also and you can't beat the price.

Other pluses - great caretakers - lots of hot water - quality pots, pans, and knives you can actually use - high quality loungers - awesome tiki hut.

Thank you Suzanne, Summer and crew.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple