“No thanks ”

Ranked #17 of 240 Restaurants in Joplin
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

The waitress was wonderful and with that being said they were understaffed. Poor waitress was running everywhere and was hardly at our table so when she did pass us we had to quickly tell her everything because we were not sure when we'd see her again. I ordered lobster and steak. THE LOBSTER WAS UNDERCOOKED. THE STEAK WAS UNDERCOOKED. They recooked my steak which was great. Then they gave me a new lobster tail, NO THANKS! The first taste was by far the worst seafood experience for me. Anymore lobster that day would've triggered more than my gag reflexes.

OutbackGuestServices, Manager at Outback Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

We feel terrible that we let you down. We'd like to review this further if you could please take a moment to send me an email at news@outback.com with the subject "TripAdvisor - Joplin, MO". We can then correspond directly over email.

Madeline
Outback Steakhouse

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

The wait staff was wonderful. The food was great. Me and my wife love going here. Would be great for family or any occasion

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Outback was a much needed meal after a hectic day. The food was fresh including the bread, the only criticism that we have is that the Prime Rib was a little dry but this isn't the first Outback that this has happened at.
Our server was wonderful friendly and showed genuine interest in us. This restaurant is a do again!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Standard disclaimer: I am an overweight older male who hates to travel and I am not all that fond of anyone who does travel. I like to eat and during my 7 decades on the planet, I have only been beaten twice where doing battle with a knife and fork are concerned. If you are Vegan, vegetarian, or a gluten-free-ite, feel free to stop reading this review now. I don't share your dietary preferences - nothing personal. I never mention my choice to write in Trip Advisor, as I want to be treated like everyone else in a restaurant. I also do not solicit, nor would I accept, anything of value in return for writing a review, much less a positive review. My reviews are strictly a subjective report of how I perceive a restaurant, the food, the quality, the quantity, and the service at the time of my visit. My review is mine and mine alone, and does not necessarily reflect on Trip Advisor or its subsidiaries. OK - - that's out of the way - - now on with the show.

I tend to not like "chain" restaurants, and I think we could all agree on just who the cast of characters are. Seldom am I ever moved to write a review on a "chain" restaurant, but I am breaking out of the mold tonight (Sept. 5, 2017) and elected to write on "Outback Steakhouse". Outback is located on E. 36th Street off Range Line Road in Joplin, Missouri. It is located directly across the street from the Hampton Inn hotel and there is a Sam's Club just east of the restaurant. The interior door of the restaurant was held open by a young man, "Cole", who got us a table and told us his name and to let him know if there was anything we needed while we were there. Austin was our server, who greeted us in less than 2 minutes after we were seated.

The restaurant and decor was puzzling to me. In their TV commercials, Outback plays up the Australian theme. I have never been to Australia and have no plans to go (that would require traveling, wouldn't it ???) there. I didn't get the decor. The wood was dark, the windows had wooden shutters on them, so there was minimal or no outside light coming in. I didn't get it......nothing shouted "Australia" to me. But, I digress. I didn't come to Outback for decor. My wife and I ordered a beer and a large glass of wine. She ordered a steakhouse salad, mixed greens, etc., with a 6 ounce sliced sirloin steak atop the salad. I ordered hand breaded shrimp, fries, with mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, and yellow squash), along with a side of grilled asparagus. While we waited for our order, Austin brought us a small loaf of dark bread, which tasted like it was honey infused.

My plate had fries and 12 fried shrimp on it. Vegetables were perfectly steamed. I could not tell if the fried shrimp started out its life in a sealed freezer bag or not. The shrimp was medium sized with a bit of tail on. The breading didn't have much flavor. The fries were unbelievably salty. In addition to preferring fried foods, I am a salt-addict, and the amount of salt on the fries was almost too much for me. I would have preferred less than half the salt, and to provide the fries with a bit more flavor, I'd either use onion or garlic salt instead of regular salt or sea salt. The food was around B- in terms of quality and rather typical for the chain type restaurant.

During the meal, Sam, the manager of the restaurant, stopped by our table to ask how we were doing and to let him know if there was anything we needed. In fact, Cole, Austin, and Sam are the only reasons I decided to write this review on Outback. The service was outstanding and certainly something we aren't used to in these type of chain restaurants in the greater Milwaukee area where we come from.

Cost of our meals, including drinks, was around $56 excluding tip, which was quite reasonable.

PROS: great location off I-44 West; classy decor (although I don't get the "Aussie" thing); great service, decent food, resonable prices

CONS: I'm not sure if the music being played over loudspeakers was a CD mix or satellite radio. In any event, the music was a bit too loud and I think it was somewhat of a disruption. Too much salt on the fries - sodium overload.

Believe it or not, I hadn't been in an Outback in well over 10 years or more. I was very impressed with the service in Joplin, Missouri - enough so to see if the Outback near our residence has similar service.

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed a nice meal in a redecorated dining room and no smoking now. Server was attentive to our needs and steaks were perfectly prepared. New outside furniture makes it a nice image

Been to Outback Steakhouse? Share your experiences!