“Appears to be poorly managed”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 6 December 2017

Four negative items to mention about my stay:

1) I was out of my room from noon to 5:00 PM. Upon my return at 5:00, I found my door propped open by the deadbolt. Much like when a housekeeper is in your room. But, no one was in my room. Luckily nothing was taken. My room was at the end of the hall, so it is likely that no one passed by to see the door propped open.

2) I tried calling the operator and front desk, but no one answered the phone. I tried twice with no answer. I had to leave for a business dinner, so I gave up.

3) Upon check out the next morning at approximately 5:45, I informed the front desk person about my door being propped open so that anyone could have walked in. He simply gave a grunt and shrug of his shoulders. I told him that he should inform the housekeeping manager and he agreed. There was no effort to apologize or follow up on this issue.

4) The thermostat was worthless. I put it on auto. The fan never shut down and the desired temperature (72 degrees) was never reached. I did not bother to inform anyone about this.

The rest of the hotel was fine. Clean and orderly. The restaurant was fine. But, given the issues above, I can only conclude that the employees are poorly managed.

I needed to stay at this hotel because my employer has a contract with the hotel. I would never stay here if I had a choice.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Macalester
Don B, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Dear Macalester,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for your experience falling short of your expectations and our standards.

I would appreciate the opportunity to communicate with you directly. This will allow me to personally apologize and obtain additional details so we may follow-up internally. The best way to contact me is dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Don Breckenridge

Write a ReviewReviews (1,615)

Reviewed 6 December 2017

The hotel was overall great with wonderful staff. It is very well situated next to shopping and restaurants. I would recommend a dress code in the concierge lounge, because there were people dressed in their bath robes.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Sam C,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City for your Christmas vacation.

We’re very glad you enjoyed your time with us and we’ll look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 5 December 2017

We were in Kansas City after seeing family for Thanksgiving and then had a memorial service for a long-time friend. We were upgraded to a concierge level service so we could have a complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks.

This turned out to be a wonderful service. The breakfast has a very nice variety including bagels, cream cheese and lox -- my favorite breakfast. Also, very good fruit and yogurt. Selection of cereals, pastries, boiled eggs, etc. We were quite happy.

Evening cocktails also were very nice. There were snacks and premium drinks. Later in the evening, there were liqeurs and desserts. Very nice desserts.

And our room was great. Very comfortable, very clean and great views of either the Country Club Plaza or the fashionable city places near the Plaza.

Staff were helpful and responsive.

We enjoyed our stay and would come back to the InterContinental on the Plaza in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Don B, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Dear Arthur H,

Please accept our condolences for your loss.

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate you letting us know you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade. Our team enjoys providing these random acts of kindness whenever possible. As you saw, the InterContinental Concierge Experience is a wonderful way to spoil yourself with the personalized levels of service provided by our concierge team, and all the complimentary food & beverage items served in the 11th floor Concierge’s Lounge. We’re very happy to hear how much you enjoyed it.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Don makes the difference when staying in KC. He has the best music and ambience to make any stressful day go away. The hotel is in the plaza and the rooms are wonderful, staff is great and vey attentive.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear Mariana C,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We always value and appreciate a 5-star rating.

Donyel excels in providing a very personalized level of service and making guests feel very welcomed and relaxed in the Concierge’s Lounge. We’ll be sure to share your feedback with him.

Wishing you a very happy holiday season!

Reviewed 4 December 2017

I've stayed at this location over the years and the last time came away thinking it needed an update badly. Mission accomplished! The place feels brand new! The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable and the lobby is really well done.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business

Dear James L,

Thank you for sharing that you like the results of the recent renovation finished earlier this summer. The goal was certainly to provide a completely new look in the guestrooms and lobby level areas, all designed to ensure a four-diamond experience for our guests.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future!