“Great place”
Review of Gram & Dun

Gram & Dun
Reserve with OpenTable
Gram & Dun is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,436 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pennsylvania
Description: Gram & Dun brings culinarily-driven fare, while paying special attention to pairing food with libations. It's a place "for the people" where we can relax and enjoy the neighborhood vibe while we test theories of food, drink and the evolution of good times. Our local owners and staff bring a unique, modern environment to this ideal Plaza location where we have revived the best patio in town, making Gram & Dun an enticing landmark for locals and visitors alike. In addition, Gram & Dun honors the traditional by bringing revered dishes to the forefront and adding our own special touch, and welcomes seasonality by adjusting to the natural changes our tastes succumb to as the year progresses, all in an effort to provide the best to patrons with exquisite taste. Gram & Dun: sophisticated, soulful and crafted.
Reviewed 22 July 2017

So I went here based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and booked through Open Table. It exceeded my expectations based on the pictures. Gram & Dun is located in the Plaza, on a fairly good corner. It is far enough away from the more dense areas to be out of the way.

The service was really pretty good. Not the best, bet likely the best KC can offer (not to be offensive, it is just the truth). They had a full list of good wine and drinks to choose from. I went with the Bond Villian, which of course is because I'm a gin man.

The apps appeared to be the best part of why this place is rated as high as it is, but perhaps that is just my perception. I ordered the Not-So-Average Potato Chips, which were very good. The starter came with three different house-made dips that added a nice flavor to the seasoned chips.

Next, I ordered the Striped Bass and Burnt End Mac n' cheese. No, I am not fat. yes, I was after I ate those things. The striped bass was a little over cooked for my liking, and it did not necessarily knock my socks off. It was fairly delicious with the quinoa (or whatever it was that was on the side), but again, nothing crazy awesome.

The burnt end mac n' cheese however was freaking good. Clearly a comfort food, but seriously was something I probably wouldn't otherwise order at a mid-caliber restaurant - but did because it was actually offered.

The restaurant itself has an awesome building and spread. There is a full sliding glass wall that opens the inside up to the outside. The outside, despite the fact that a few girls in jorts walked in and met some V-neck wearing, mohawk having chode, was a nice thing to see.

Overall, it is likely one of the cooler places to eat in the Plaza. It feels halfway Boca Raton-y, with the outside/inside atmosphere thing going on, which I like.

Try it, I would recommend.

1  Thank bustvegas4everything

Reviewed 21 July 2017

This was my second visit to Gram & Dun, and was very enjoyable. Both times we chose to dine on the appetizers as our meal. The steamy buns are my favorite. The meat is so flavorful and tender.

Reviewed 17 July 2017

We split the special appetizer of the day, sort of a caprese, with heirloom tomatoes,a golden tomato sauce, watercress, cheese crumbles, fennel, etc., all on a good size platter, providing numerous opportunities to pair up flavors.

Then we each had mussels. The mussels themselves were good, but my wife and I split on liking or disliking the broth (I didn't like the aroma, reminding me of why one doesn't want to sit near the exhaust in a lobster joint).

Other than that, a perfect meal, actually without touching any of the many entrees. The most spectacular is the Tomahawk, a 34 oz (need I say large) rib entree, designed for two, and with a long rib bone protruding well up, out and over your table.

Wine list by the glass had some interesting whites. Service was very attentive but unobtrusive. The manager was very actively monitoring the reception of the food.

Inside dining where we were is attractive, as is also the patio. A highlight at dinner was when the temperature had dropped to where the glass doors were opened and we were dining both inside and outside as it were.

Nice clientele, smart or casual but not sloppily dressed.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Overall, our party of four didn’t love the food here… But there were definitely some highlights. The Hokkaido Scallops were fantastic—seared, with smoked anaheim cream, toasted walnuts, and cauliflower. And, the Steamy Buns were great with smoked pork shoulder, spicy pickled cucumber, peanut coconut bbq sauce, and napa slaw. Everything else we ate and drank was pretty average. Also, they got our takeout order wrong (forgot the chicken breast on my wife’s salad) and I didn’t realize it until we got back to the hotel. So overall it was good—not great or memorable—but good.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

A fun, vibrant place with a very interesting menu! Great bar atmosphere as well. Service was great. It's a be back!