“Overall a Good choice”

Ranked #48 of 1,424 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th and Baltimore
Reviewed 20 September 2021

Made a reservation in advance - excellent choice. WE were 15 minutes early (not sure of the parking and street rout) parking was not a problem, rout OK. Seated right away, very busy place few open tables. Waiter came over, ordered some wine and checked out the menu. moderate wait for drinks, waiter then elaborated on the menu. I opted for the 3 pasta special and my spouse the Manicotti. Warm bread was delivered with a choice of dipping "pesto's" both good. Ordered a Capreece salad to share.
Salad was fantastic, the heirloom tomatoes had great flavor, the fresh mozzarella was REAL fresh with a warm creamy interior. You do not get this type freshness elsewhere. The Manicotti was creamy with a great flavor (I had to sample). The 3 pasta special was OK, the cheese filled ravioli was good the accompanying sauce was only fair, it a least let me taste the filling. The penne pasta with a meaty ragu had ample meat in a coarse cut/grind but the tomato sauce was "thin" and lacked a distinctive flavor, the fettuccini with a pesto sauce was well balanced and the shrimps added a depth of flavor but there was a "clump" of noodles stuck together, did not fit the profile for a freshly cooked/tossed pasta dish.
All in all the cuisine tends toward the northern Italy flavors and ingredients.

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed 31 August 2021

I had an excellent meal recently at Lidia's. It started with the arancini which were excellent (maybe a hint more red sauce) and golden nuggets of goodness. The entrée that followed was seared duck breast with brandied cherries. Dessert was Bonet a chocolate amaretto flan with small baci cookies. The only downfall of the evening was when I ordered an Amaretto neat and they offered Amore instead of DiSaronno. Why have an upscale Italian restaurant then serve cheap amaretto? Oh well, I went for the Tuaca instead but it didn't quite hit the same notes.

Date of visit: August 2021
Reviewed 13 July 2021

Was in town for business meetings and needed a place close to my hotel where I could sit at the bar, watch a game of some sort, and have a healthy dinner. Lidia's fit three out of four. The only thing missing was the TV. But everything else was great. I had the house green salad to start and it was all I could do to avoid any of the dozens or more amazing sounding pasta dishes. My Dr would be pleased to know I had the lemon chicken and it was absolutely perfect.

In speaking with the barkeep, she said they are still having a hard time filling empty positions, especially in the kitchen. So, they are NOT open on Monday or Tuesday and they close fairly early weeknights because they are short staffed. My advice would be to get a reservation because this is a popular place here in town. But it is worth the effort.

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank Randy T
Reviewed 8 June 2021

We had reservations for 7:45 pm on a Friday night. Lidia's was packed. We waited 15 minutes for our table to become avaiable. We waited in the restaurant's lovely garden near the entrance. Given the throngs of guests the wait was not a burden.
Service was very good, the food was excellent. We had an appetizer to share for the table, two entrees, one dessert, one cocktail and two glasses of red wine and the total was $126, which we found to be very reasonable. If we are to visit Kansas City again we will certainly return to Lidia's.

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 5 June 2021 via mobile

Place was busy. Seated 20 minutes after reservation. Service was slow. We never received the bread. Drinks sat empty. Food was okay. Would probably not come back.

Date of visit: June 2021