“Solid food and service ... will return”

Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen
Ranked #328 of 1,503 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

We were interested in “something different” on Friday night. Cheddars it was.

I started off with a bowl of the tortilla soup. It was hot, hearty, and flavorful. I’d recommend it. Sometimes, tortilla soup is cheese based. This is not, it’s definitely a spiced tomato/chicken broth. All good. I would order it again.

For the meal, my wife ordered the quarter BBQ chicken with mashed potatoes. No disappointment there. She didn’t leave a scrap, and we didn’t bring home any leftovers. I had the short rack of ribs with fries and coleslaw. The slaw was excellent, more of a mayonnaise dressing rather than vinegar. Guess it’s what you like or don’t. I like that type of slaw. If I had a bone to pick (so to speak), it was that part of the ribs were overdone and somewhat tough. To balance that, I didn’t leave any leftovers either. But ... I won’t be ordering ribs here again. Too many other nice BBQ joints for this type of restaurant to compete with.

Summary: A good meal, not a great meal. I would definitely go back. This is definitely a comfort food restaurant that does it well.

1  Thank GeneW_Provo

Reviewed 19 November 2017

Okay, I'm just being up front. My favorite restaurants are typically hole-in-the-wall, ma and pa joints.

I know this is a chain. AND, for the longest time, we'd never go here, because the parking lot was always jammed full.

I recently went for the second time, and I have to admit, the food both times was pretty good.

The first time I went I got the Monte Cristo, which I believe is specialty.

The menu describes it as "Smoked ham, smoked turkey, two cheeses, battered and fried until golden, with raspberry preserves and dusted with powdered sugar."

Yeah, it sounds a little strange, but it was quite good.

On the most recent visit, I got the dijon chicken & mushrooms, which was also very good.

Oh, and the honey butter croissants are amazing,

Maybe there's a reason the parking lot is always full!

1  Thank Eric W
Reviewed 23 October 2017

We were seated after a 15 minute wait, not bad for a Friday night. However after we were seated no one came by to take our order. After 5-10 minutes of waiting we got up and left. This is unlike Cheddar's however the last 2 times we've been service has not been as good as it usually is.

2  Thank matt c
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Overall we had a lest that desirable dining experience. The food was good for the most part, but there was lots of service issues. My son ordered a side a mash potatoes without gravy, but it came with gravy. I ordered the soup and salad, but my salad never came with the other salads and it took a while just to get the others. Finally my soup came with the other entrees, but I never got my salad. My granddaughter ordered a childs chicken strip but got an adults serving. We had to ask for extra dipping sauce several times. The server adjusted the bill as appropriate but blamed her poor table service on having too many tables to wait on due to being short on servers.

2  Thank KearneyCat
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Service is great! Food is always fresh and delish! I’ve never had any issues at this location. The ribs are outstanding!! Fried Catfish is another favorite! I love their croissant rolls and salads with honey lime dressing!! Get the chocolate cake for dessert, you won’t regret it! Mmm.

1  Thank LiSammy