“Scrumptious”

The Blue Duck
Ranked #7 of 35 Restaurants in Maplewood
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Reviewed 13 September 2017

If you are a foodie, you should find this fun. Chef takes different twists on some traditional food. I went on a Saturday and they have a brunch like menu with breakfast foods and sandwiches. The portions are large and very filling. A little on the rich side, but that what makes the food so wonderful. Who would want ordinary or bland. Atmosphere is casual, fresh and inviting.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Came here for an early dinner before a baseball game. Fast very friendly service. I had the roasted chicken sandwich. It was thick, very tender and really tasty. My wife had the burger which she had a fried egg added and loved it. We travel to ST Louis a lot and we will be back!!

Reviewed 23 August 2017

we found the blue duck when the shaved duck's wait was over 3 hours. we were happily treated to beautifully plated, amazingly tasty food - duck fried rice with yummy duck ham and topped with confit ... softshell crabs in a corn cream that we could not get enough of ... DLT - duck bacon, with a fried egg ... fried chicken with the best onion rings we've ever had. Topped off with fresh peach pie ala mode. our compliments to the chef for an incredible meal.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Recently I made the third visit to The Blue Duck, which now is open only for dinner and on weekends at 10 a.m. to closing. To me the food always showed flashes of brilliance, but often came off as "trying too hard" on the first and second visits. This time I thought the meal was just right. I had a very competent house salad, and then two specials of the day. The entree was pork tacos, with chili-rubbed pork, avocado, crema, etc. on a handmade corn tortilla. The combination was very interesting and I can find no fault. For dessert I had a coconut cream pie, which was just to die for.

Yes, decor still needs work to make it a first-rate experience, but they are coming along. While I see some complaints about slow service here, in three visits I've thought the wait times were very minimum, unless we are comparing to McDonald's.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Went to the Blue Duck for dinner on Friday night with my wife, daughter and son-in-law. My wife and I are not from St. Louis and my daughter was excited to take us to this new restaurant they had found. The decor is not fancy, but not shabby or roadhouse either- more contemporary. Although they have small plates and entrees, we all decided on a sandwich. The food was phenomanal! My daughter had the pork belly pastrami rueben (braised cabbage, not sauerkraut!) on rye; my wife and son-in-law both had the chicken club (one fried chicken and one grilled) and I had the DLT, their take on a BLT... cured and smoked duck breast, lettuce, tomato, fried egg, honey chipotle mayo on sourdough. This was without a doubt one of the most delicious sandwiches that I have ever eaten! Each sandwich came with a side...we all ordered the potato salad. It is a mustard potato sald and very good.
We also all had the blueberry salad special, which was delicious. We got the cornbread appetizer and shared it. It is definitely appetizer size and not really meant to be shared, but we all just wanted to see what it was like, and it didn't disappoint! It is served with honey butter and smoked apple butter which accentuated the taste!
The service was excellent- our server was friendly and attentive without being pushy.
All in all, I would highly recommend The Blue Duck, and if you go, make sure you try the DLT!