“Nice location, but very run down”
Review of Kirkwood Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kirkwood Lodge
Reviewed 29 August 2016

I took my Mom for an overnight trip to Lake of the Ozarks to see a great concert. I took a chance and booked a hotel using Hotwire. However, this was definitely below expectations - especially considering it was still over $90 for the room.

When I first checked in, I was asked about making payment and had to prove to them I had already paid by literally pulling up my bank statement on my phone, because apparently they normally charge upon arrival. Then, when I went to the room I was assigned, the linens had been stripped off of one of the beds, and had never been replaced. I went to the office, and they offered to put me into a room with 2 twin size beds if I would like (I was in a room with 2 queens). I declined, and they had someone come and make up the bed within 30 minutes.

There were no televisions in the room, the alarm clock didn't work, one of the sinks wouldn't drain, and there wasn't even shampoo and conditioner in the shower area. Overall, I would just say it needs updated and a more thorough cleaning. Also, the pillows on the beds were very flat, and my bed seemed to kind of lean towards one side. We just stayed one night, otherwise I probably would have relocated.

However, the personnel were very friendly with us, and this location is right on the lake if you have a boat and wanted to be near. You're primarily looking down over an inlet with boat docks...but it's still the lake!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank 810lisam810

Reviewed 31 July 2015

I went there with a group of people and when we walked into our rooms it was a very musty smell, the appliances haven't been updated in 30 years, and was overall gross. We bought blankets just so we wouldn't have to sleep in the actual beds because of stains on the sheets. After over two months after having stayed there everyone in our group was billed bogus charges even for rooms we weren't even inn. Poor management there.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank Parker S
Reviewed 5 July 2015 via mobile

We stayed her last minute for the 4th booked 2 nights. When we got there we were charged an extra $30 for our child to stay. The lobby was very old and outdated. This place looks nothing like the pictures. It needs to be condemned! The rooms were very dirty and smelled bad. Carpet gross and beds had bugs. Spider webs everywhere. The towels in the room are dish towels. There was a mud dobber nest in the bathroom above the vent. The walls were made out of cinder blocks. The ceiling was old asbestos tiles. The health department needs to be notified. We could stay for the second night and got our money back. Don't go here!

Stayed: July 2015
4  Thank amytotten1
Reviewed 16 June 2015 via mobile

Our stay for the weekend at Kirkwood Lodge was awesome. Although not filled to the brim with amenities this throw back family style resort is filled with good times. We had a brief family get together that coincided with the Lodges annual LAF Fest so our meals and light entertainment was included. Highlights included the food, square dancing (yes...but fun!), water bike and kayaking. Definitely worth consideration for simple family fun.

Stayed: June 2015
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our group just had a small conference there. It was a great fit for us. It is quaint and rustic (been there over 70 years) and the staff was awesome. They have some young workers and it was great to see them doing such a good job. The biggest surprise was the excellent food. It was way over expectations. I'll eat about anything, but I know when a sophisticated dish is fresh and well prepared. Given the quality of food, the dining room is glass walled and overlooks a cove of the lake. I enjoyed my meals with a view. Watching hummingbirds at the feeders outside the windows made those three hots a day memorable.

Room Tip: We went for a quieter room farther from the lodge.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends