“Excellent place to dine!”

FDC Fort Davidson Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Pilot Knob
Cuisines: American
Description: Delicious, chef created, American Fare in a delightful location. We offer a variety of entrees, desserts, salads, beer and wine. We make it fresh.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We accidently stumbled upon this restraunt on the way to the Rustler Cafe (one of our other favorite restraunts), so we decided to give it a try. The only complaint I have is that we didn't find this place sooner! The food was amazing! The staff was super friendly and the price wasn't bad at all. Now I guess since there are two equally great places in such a small area, we'll have to start flipping a coin when we come to town. :)

Torrence C, Owner at FDC Fort Davidson Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

I wish you had found us sooner too! Hope your coin lands on FDC Every time you flip it! Thanks!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We hadn't been to this place since it changed hands, and we were pleasantly surprised at the remodel. It now longer is that dark, outdated place it always was. It is very attractive, even the bathrooms. The main dining room is a bit small and you are crowded together. There is a large space as you walk in that houses a pastry case, a counter and a few local trinkets for sale. Too bad they didn't use that space to make the main dining area larger. The noise level is very high in the dining area, especially when kids are screaming and running around the tables, as they were doing when we were there. The parents just laughed and thought it was cute, but when you are there to have a good dining experience, and have a conversation with your table mates, it is unacceptable. That being said, there is also a very nice dining room past the bathrooms. I guess it is used for get togethers, or overflow. Very nice. Especially nice is the new outdoor seating area with the nicest metal and wood fence I have ever seen. Reminds me of Bass Pro's Big Cedar resort. Kudos!. Now to the food. They have a really great menu with added specials too. We opted for the fried chicken dinners with two sides. It does take longer than others, so be aware. The chicken, unfortunately was overcooked. The breast was so tough, we had trouble eating it. The wing was perfect though with a good flavor. The mashed potatoes were the real deal with skins and lumps, which I love. The green beans were good, with ham and onion added, and the potato salad, my hubbie said, was very good with a hint of horseradish he thought. The prices were good too. I also overhead the gentleman next to us tell the waitress that the burger he had was the best he has ever had. Can't wait to try that. Give it a try..but...if you have children, please keep them under control. No customer, or waitress wants to deal with that...bad for business...just sayin'

Thanks for the review! We noticed the noise problem too. We’re currently building some sound absorption panels. Our artist is going to paint scenes on them so they’re not so noticeable.

Sorry about the rowdy kids.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Oh my gosh, this place has the BEST burgers. I am noramlly always watching my diet, but decided to blow it out the window and this burger and the onion straws were to die for! Why can't we find food like this in St. Louis that's homemade and not overpriced!! Don't miss it, and take a tour of the Pilot Knob historic site across the street....so much history.

Our burgers are delish! Thanks for the nice review and sorry for the late response! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 January 2018

I ate here on my last trip to town. The entire place is under new management. They have completely changed the menu and remodeled the entire place. The new owners really care about the business and were onsite and working hard when i stopped in.
I had a Ruben sandwich that was very good, and filling. I also had onion straws. The onion straws were ok, being so thin they pick up on other flavors and it tasted like they had been fried in old oil, not old enough to make them dark colored or black but old enough to have other flavors mixed in.
The owner gave me a small bite of home made chocolate bread that they were selling that day, made fresh in the kitchen. It was very good and i bought 2 loaves to take with me.
I will be back and will try other things on the menu. If you have been here in the past you need to try it again. The name is the same but the food, menu and interior are all new and done very well.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

The food was good and the prices were cheap. Probably due to the location. There are new owners as of 2016. They remodeled the inside. It is nice and they have a patio you can eat on if the weather is nice. We were here for Breakfast and Dinner. Both were good.