US$135
US$101
Hampton.com
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$122/night.

US$120
US$80
US$106
US$95
CandlewoodSuites
Drury Inn & Suites St. Joseph(Saint Joseph)
US$110
US$107
Fairfield Inn
US$115
All reviewsthe stained glass windowstwelfth nightbed and breakfastromeo and julietjuliet roomverona suitehistory lessonbreakfast was deliciousbeautiful mansionlemon curdhouse touran excellent hostamazing homeold mansionfresh fruitjacuzzi tubrestoration process
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

What a gorgeous mansion - the woodwork, the period furnishings, and oh, the stunning stained glass! It is beautiful here and our hostess Isobel did everything possible to make us feel welcome, from the house tour to the restaurant and museum recommendations to the delicious breakfast: coffee, a selection of juices, fresh fruit, homemade scones, and even homemade lemon curd (yum!). The Twelfth Night suite was spacious and comfortable. The shower was fab, and the heated towels were a welcome surprise. If we find ourselves back in Saint Joseph we’ll return for sure.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Thank you for your visit, and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We hear again and again from guests that on-line reviews factor into their decision to stay at the Shakespeare Chateau, so again, thank you. This 1885 gilded-age mansion features some of the finest stained glass in the city, and we host an incomparable collection of fine art and antiques. I hope you can come back for a return visit soon!

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed overnight to celebrate anniversary recently. The owner was very accommodating to us. The house is beautiful and you can see a lot of care and hard work went into restoring the mansion. We were given a tour and a bit of a history lesson when we arrived. Anything we needed, all we had to do was ask. Rooms were clean and each one was named for a different play from the namesake author. the bed was comfy. Prices are reasonable. Breakfast was very good. Be on the watch for the local dog and kitty! Totally will be back.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Thank you for staying at the Shakespeare Chateau to celebrate your anniversary! I am very pleased that you found everything to your liking, and that you enjoyed your stay. I'm looking forward to seeing you on a return visit soon, or maybe for next year's anniversary!

Reviewed 31 October 2017

We reserved 4 rooms for our annual "girl's" weekend and all I can say is, it was spectacular! The house is just something you have to actually see to believe. Our host, Isobel, was most gracious and knowledgeable about the house, the history and the city of Saint Joseph. Loved the tour! There is light streaming through stained glass from just about very angle of the house including the bedrooms. So wonderful to wake up to! It is just breathtaking. For breakfast we had an egg and ham souffle with fresh fruit and scones. It was delicious. Isobel, you and your home are true Saint Joseph jewels. I doubt the house has ever had a better guardian than it has now.
The girls could not stop talking about the house and we had so much fun hanging out in the Romeo and Juliet suite's large sitting room. (All eight of us!) If you are thinking about a trip to Saint Joseph, this is THE place to stay. You will not be disappointed. We hope to return soon. Thank you so much Isobel, we truly loved it!

Room Tip: All 4 of our rooms were just top notch. You can not go wrong with any of them.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you so much, Gwyneth, for visiting with your friends for your annual get-together. I loved meeting everyone, and am so happy to hear that you all enjoyed your time here at the Shakespeare Chateau. And thank you, too, for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

One word: wow. My mom and I stayed here after seeing it pop up in TripAdvisor. We had planned to stay in Kansas City both nights but once we saw this place we changed our plans. There is nothing not to love about this place...the history, the quiet, the friendly host, and great food. Isobel greeted us and gave us a tour of the mansion. She is very knowledgeable and a gracious host. We stayed in the As You Like It room as it had two beds but all the rooms are lovely. The room was very clean and it was quiet. I've had horrible luck with hotels and this one FINALLY turned that around. I got a fabulous night's rest and then we had a delicious breakfast of fresh fruit, hot scones & lemon curd. Isobel also has great recommendations for food around St Joseph. Take a walk along the street and see the other impressive homes in the area. I think that from now on I'll drive the extra minutes north of KC to stay here again. Don't hesitate booking here. Do it!! You will NOT be disappointed!!

Oh, and try and go as the sun is setting so you can see the twinkling light through the faceted stained glass in the dining room. Stunning!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Thank you, Megan, for visiting, and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am so very pleased that you and your Mom enjoyed your stay, and that you found your room comfortable and quiet. I really appreciate your comments, and look forward to seeing you both back for a return visit soon!

Reviewed 24 September 2017

My daughter and I spent the night in the As You Like It Suit. (We chose it because of two queen size beds.) The room was comfortable,furnished with the right mix of modern and period furniture. Upon arrival Isabel gave a a private tour of the entire mansion. Incredible! Breakfast was hot scones, fresh fruit cups and orange juice. The ambience is well worth the extra money compared to a chain hotel. An added bonus of the Shakespeare is the neighborhood;one can stroll a four block area and view other 19th century mansions on Millionaires' Row.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank Karla B
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thank you, Karla! I loved meeting you and your daughter, and I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Shakespeare Chateau and your visit to the Hall Street Historic District. Hope to see you again soon!