“Was good for a one night stay”

Quality Suites St. Joseph
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Upon arrival, check in was easy and quick. Front desk was very helpful. We headed for our room and changed to take a dip in the hot tub. No hot tub. Alright we'll take dip in the pool. No dip in the pool as it was chili. Back to the room. Room was really pretty good. We decided to walk to a local steakhouse/BBQ joint for dinner. As you walk around the property you can see it has been neglected. Fence down, landscape brick broke,...
After dinner we thought we would sit outside to enjoy an adult beverage in the nice evening. No place to sit outside. Went back to our room.
Shortly after 10:00 pm, the fire alarm went off. Everybody outside. Thankfully it was a nice night. Some kids near us were joking about one of them pulling the alarm. Approximately15 minutes later the alarm quit and everyone walked back in.
Hotel is along the interstate so there was some road noise but not bad. Breakfast was typical hotel breakfast. I did appreciate that the eggs and sausage were warm.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is on the west side of the hotel away from the interstate.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 July 2017

I've been on tripadvisor for nine years, and I've never given out a one star review to a hotel. My family is not exactly what you would call high-maintenance, and we're willing to give most motels the benefit of the doubt. That changes now, unfortunately.

I wasn't going to bother writing a review for this place, but I see that there have been a few others who have suffered a similar fate as we did. My extended family needed to reserve a block of rooms this summer for three nights. (We ended up with about 10 rooms altogether). When we started booking the rooms about six months ago, we had no problems -- the former manager was very helpful, and when *they* pointed out that the internet rate was a little bit lower, she even offered to price match for us.

Fast forward a few months, and there are a few new folks running the show. Some of my relatives who booked in the spring started getting a harder time. Not only was the lower room rate suddenly taken away, but more than one person was told that she wouldn't even get the price that was agreed in the initial contract.

When we did sign the contract, it also stated that we would pay extra to reserve a conference room for all three days. Imagine our surprise when we were notified one week in advance that the room would no longer be available. When we balked, we were told that we "did not meet the terms of the contract"... although it was not very clear *what* the actual issue was.

So here is my recommendation: If you are a single family and only need one room, you'll probably be fine. They seem to be able to handle this. If you need more than one room, be prepared for confusion and delay. And if you need a block of rooms, heed the warning of this review (and the other recent similar reviews!!!).

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank AverageGuy999
Reviewed 6 July 2017

I should start with something good. The place is very clean and well-maintained. A bit "boxy" on the outside, but the rooms were fine, clean and quite spacious. Some wear on the furniture that should be repaired, the mini-fridge needed to have the rusted racks replaced, but on the whole, the room was clean and the bed comfortable. The cleaning staff was very friendly. The breakfast is the standard fare for Choice Hotels - not awesome, but certainly passable.

My family flew and drove into Saint Joseph, MO from the four corners of the Continental U.S. to bury my 32-year-old nephew. We had reserved eleven rooms in the Quality Inn for this purpose. Five of those rooms were on the same credit card. I arrived on Thursday while the card-holder who reserved the five rooms did not arrive until Friday.

How did this work, you may wonder? It didn't. The rude and brusque woman behind the counter refused to let me check into my room because the card under which the room was held was not on the counter in front of them. The entire scene was completely asinine. No explanation or plea from me would suffice. The card-holder called and tried to reason with the woman. No joy. She would not budge. There was some corporate policy based on the fear that I would stay in the room for three nights and then skip town without paying.

Seriously? Be reasonable! We had ELEVEN rooms in the place. We were all there for a tragic funeral. And this is the treatment we got? I was furious. My sisters were furious. It was the dumbest, rudest treatment I have ever received from any hotel - ever - and it was delivered at a time that was particularly bitter and emotionally charged for me.

I may change this going forward, but at this time I am quite reticent to ever book a hotel room with Choice Hotels. It will certainly be a long time before I feel comfortable doing so. What will not change is that I will never, under any circumstances stay with the Quality Inn & Suites in Saint Joseph Missouri again. The woman who refused to check me in should be fired. The lesson for her and for Quality Inn - It is never wrong to do the right thing. They should have checked me into the room.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mr_Parsnips
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Everything excellent, specially if you like soft beds. Quiet.
Extremely friendly staff. Made great first impression. Breakfast good. Eggs, sausage, waffles. Continental part could have more variety. Parking not a problem. Not sure how full hotel was though.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sebastiaan K
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

On a 10 day road trip, stopping at most Choice hotels.....stayed here and it was a great reprieve from the nightmare in st. Louis. Here in st. Joseph, easily found the hotel. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Our room was neat and clean; refrigerator also in room. Although the hotel seened full, it was quiet along with a comfy bed, made for a good nights sleep. Breakfast was the standard, make your own waffle and the basics. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family