“Great Change!!Awesome Service!!Wonderful Atmosphere”

Van Gogh’s Eeterie
Ranked #277 of 726 Restaurants in Springfield
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My family and I ate here and the food was Delicious!!I'm a Vegetarian so they do offer great tasting food for our community. The staff is incredible they are very friendly and knowledgeable on every dish and you may wait because everything is cooked FRESH to order.I would recommend Van Gogh to all of my friends and family!

1  Thank Klunsford1

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

This wonderful new addition to Springfield was amazing! We had a little bit of everything and it was delish!!! Even my 5 and 6 year olds are ready to go back! The atmosphere is amazing, wonderful attentive service, and again the food was above and beyond what I expected! When your in Springfield a trip to C Street is a must, I suggest this unique new place to anybody that wants to try something new you can't get anywhere else around! Also each dish is made to order specially for each customer, so my husband being vegetarian was not an issue at all! We will be back! Oh, and don't forget to check out the tulip garden in the back!!!

Reviewed 31 March 2018

The rule is, never visit a restaurant less than a month after opening. At the three-week mark, we broke the rule today and it's almost unfair to write a review. But I think the staff needs to know where the weaknesses are so they can address them quickly at this hopping new "eeaterie."
The decor is gorgeous. Bright, clean, colorful, Dutch modern on historic C-Street.
The menu takes a while to comprehend for the non-Dutch speaker, but it's impressive in scope and ingredients: most SGF restaurants don't dabble in kombucha, beets or herring.
Service, sadly, is struggling. The decor, the volume and menu (cocktails, apps and entrees) set an expectation of professionalism. Instead, it's slow to seat, slow to deliver beverages, slow to follow up on anything, and makes no apology for 40+minute wait for food. Our glasses were never refilled, our plates were never cleared. General inattention was only overshadowed by our server's overt dislike of some items on the menu— including one served to our table.
Bad service can be forgiven while a new restaurant is working out its kinks.
Bad food cannot.
Lunch took much too long to deliver. Fries arrived cold and, our server later informed us, missing their normal condiments. Toasted sandwich bread was as hard as a cracker. The aforementioned herring, such a treat in SGF, turned out to be plain, uncooked chewy reconstituted cod, served on a pancake with smoked salmon, herbed cream cheese and, oddly, a pitcher of syrup. Everything was very pretty but very bland, so we piled on the salt and pepper. We might have noted our issues with our server, but had no opportunity. Perhaps we chose poorly on the pancake dish, but it's hard to go wrong with sandwiches and fries. At the end of the meal, our server reappeared and agreed that Dutch food lacks seasoning.
Checks, again, took forever, so we sat gloomily staring into our dirty plates, turning down repeated offers for dessert.
Van Gogh's Eeterie is pushing the boundaries of Springfield's restaurant landscape. I want it to succeed. But server training is in desperate need, and this restaurant will fail if it continues to operate like a pokey paper-plate cafe. More than anything, though, I want the food to dazzle me.
Good luck, Van Gogh. I'll try again and write another review in six months.

2  Thank JennySWMO
Reviewed 29 March 2018

Six of us wanted to have a fun breakfast, so we met at Van Gogh's Eeterie. Our waiter was very knowledgeable of the creative menu. There were lots of options for breakfast. He was very efficient at delivering our special requests, i.e. one of us was asking for Kobuchu and other unique beverages. He worked those in between the normal orders for coffee ... while still explaining which coffee they were serving and it's origins. This is a fun place to eat gourmet food that is reasonably priced. You won't leave hungry.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We were greeted warmly by the hostess and shown to a table near one of the monster pieces of art. The clean, open space is very light, and beautiful.

I ordered the shaved asparagus salad ( supposed to come with toasted walnuts, goat cheese and herb vinaigrette).
My girlfriend ordered a sandwich and fries.

Oh my....
It was a long wait. But we didn't mind. The space is beautiful.

The food runner must not have been trained, at least I hope that was why he had his thumb in my salad as he was bringing the plates over. He had no personality and simply said who gets the salad?
Plopped our plates down, spun on his heel and left.
He returned shortly with my chicken sautee - which he dropped on the table without a word.

The salad was bitter. The dressing had almost no flabor, and the pitiful shaved asparagus was laughable. Tasteless. Not one crumble of feta. And obviously not toasted walnut. Very disappointed. It would have been nice if maybe the asparagus had been soaked in a white wine vinegar and if they had usee fresh salad ( see photo).

The Chicken Sate was like chewing a doggie kibble. Super hard and dry crust on the outside and dry on the inside. And, no flavor. The sate had no zing.

The fries were underwhelming, looked like a 1/2 order from McDonald's, and tasteless. The sandwich was pitiful.

Since the salad was inedible the sweet waitress took it back without a word.

Maybe we should have tried a pancake? We did not stay for dessert.....

We came, we saw, we don't need to repeat.