“Small Portions - WAY overpriced!”
Review of Leongs Asian Diner

Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: http://www.yelp.com/biz/leongs-asian-diner-springfield
Reviewed 25 August 2017

I've really tried to like this place, visiting several times as its the closest eatery to my home. I wrote them off over a year ago, when I pulled up to what seemed like a smoking lounge behind the drive thru box. The employee at the window that night handed me my food with her pack of cigarettes in hand (on her way outside to smoke) and ended up giving me half my order, prompting a return trip.

Today I decided to give them another chance, a year or so after last having visited. Not very hungry - I ordered 1 small side of fried rice, and 1 egg roll. Imagine my shock when the total was read to be over $6, not including tip.

Upon getting home and looking at my items, the small container with rice is not even half filled. I'm honestly not sure what I just paid for - but that's the final straw, I'm done giving this establishment any more chances.

If you want to pay twice as much as other Chinese places in town, for half the portion size - then this is your spot. I included a picture with this review to show the readers what $8 worth of food looks like at Leongs.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

A few times each year, my husband and I go threw springfield and always try for a different Cashew chicken experience springfield style... we have tried a half dozen and finally went to the original and met the originator "mr leongs" himself now 97 and it was definitely the best ... Adam out server was wonderful... everything was excellent... egg drop soup was yummy !!!

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

My family just moved to the Springfield area and we were told that we had to try Springfield Cashew Chicken and that Leongs was the place to go. While it was good, we were all a little underwhelmed by what made the Springfield Cashew Chicken so great? We met David who was very nice and still regularly comes to the restaurant at 97 years old. The food was good, service was great, and the prices were fair. Will be back.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had a late dinner on a Saturday night at Leong's Asian Diner.

We found the place had a nice, quaint dining atmosphere that had a modern and tastefully decor.

Service was outstanding and very professional. Our waiter was excellent at checking back with us to see how our meal was and if we needed anything. The food was served hot and promptly.

We each ordered something different from the menu. I was anxious to try the dish that originated here....the Springfield cashew chicken (called David's Special on the menu), and my wife opted for the beef, asparagus, and mushroom. Excluding tip, we both ate for around $25, which we thought fair for the decent sized portions we received.

Other than the bowl of wonton soup which came with my meal (it was excellent by the way) my dinner choice was nothing to write home about. I've had better cashew chicken, fried rice, and crab Rangoon. I wouldn't say it was bad or subpar....it just wasn't anything near as special as the dish was advertised. My wife's dish, however, was very good and she asked me to have a bite. I agreed...it was good and far superior to mine.

Everything considered... it wasn't a bad dining experience. In fact, we would consider going back. Leong's atmosphere and service was better than average....and depending on your order choice, the food could fall under the same category. It was just disappointing that the food they touted the most, fell short.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

We go there at times when in Springfield for their lunch. You can get their lunch special (several choices), I always get the cashew chicken and friend rice, and order an eggroll which is 1.00 extra. It's large! The lunch portion will fill you up and it is GREAT! Two of us ate there yesterday, two lunch specials and each of us ordered an extra, along with drinks and it was under 25.00. We were so full we didn't eat the rest of the day, and I'm a pretty good sized guy. Well worth checking out if you haven't tried it.