“Loss of customer for $0.75”
Review of El Nopal

El Nopal
Ranked #7 of 32 Restaurants in Sullivan
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant on several occasions; it has never been our favorite Mexican restaurant but it is okay but after today's visit I won't be returning. Food was pretty good- not the worst but nothing special; our server was good at first but nonexistent towards the end of our visit as I sucked down my empty glass of water for at least an hour. My "never going to return moment" occurred when I asked for some more shells for my fajitas.

Now I have had fajitas before and I have asked for more shells at other restaurants and received them at NO EXTRA CHARGE. Guess what I got charged $0.75 for...extra shells.

Now had I asked for extra shells and the owner, or manager, who got them for me had politely said, "there will be a $0.75 charge" I would have been fine with that...but that didn't happen and that wasn't the "I'm not coming back moment". That happened when the same cold, impersonal manager or owner checked me out. He stuck his hand out for my check- not saying a word- didn't ask about my meal or anything- until I said "it might have been nice had someone informed me that I was going to be charged extra for the tortillas". He said "you asked for them"; I said " you could have told me there was going to be an additional charge". He looked at me for a second and then turned away from me- not saying a word but stuck his hand out to my friend to get her check. She told me he is notorious for being incredibly rude.
I said "I guess we shouldn't reward him with our business anymore."

If customer service is important to you I WOULD NOT recommend this restaurant. There is another Mexican restaurant right down the right behind Jack in the Box that has REALLY GOOD customer service. I'll return there next time.

2  Thank Fsgwife

Reviewed 20 July 2016

We get tired of the same old thing on our roadtrips through MO. so this was a nice change. We ordered our food to go, and ate in the hotel room. Food was good, but they forgot to include our tortillas for the fajitas... oh well..

1  Thank lmnop1234
Reviewed 11 March 2016 via mobile

This place came highly rated. We went around 3. It took 10 minutes to get menus. Another 10 or so for drinks. The cheese sauce was gritty, for lack of a better word. The food didn't taste or look fresh. You had to holler to get service. Won't ever go back! I did happen to find an amazing Mexican place in Sullivan. LOS CABOS- AMAZING

Reviewed 27 October 2015

we ate at both mexican restaurants and both are very good! El Nopal was bit better IMO. i had great fajitas and top notch margaritas! also this place very close to comfort inn.

Reviewed 19 June 2015 via mobile

The food is always good. Staff are friendly. Great atmosphere. Margaritas are yummy. Restaurant is always clean. Always a good crowd present.

1  Thank rvander1

Been to El Nopal? Share your experiences!