“A good stay between 2 days in the park”
Review of Soda Butte Lodge

Soda Butte Lodge
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cooke City
Reviewed 9 August 2017

The better hotel in Cooke City. When I looked at their website, it showed a price of $100/night, turned out to be be $135. A closer look at the website learns me that the first price you see is the winter deal, valid through April 30. I didn't expect to see those anymore....
Buildings looks good, enough parking. Front desk is small but easy. The lady that checked us in was very friendly, told us all we needed to know and went smoothly through all the details. One of them was that the internet is slow because it is satellite, so be patient :-). Room was ok: flatscreen, recent renovated bathroom. Bed was good. I just have my doubts about the carpet...
We wanted a drink in the bar before diner, but the 10-15 bikers in the bar made it impossible because of the noice they made. We took our drinks and sat outside on the deck. It was a nice evening. Restaurant was pretty busy so we decided to go elsewhere for diner.
Pro: clean, close to the park, friendly staff,
Cons: breakfast not included, loud bar.
Will be back again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side are have the sound of the cars leaving in the morning.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2017

The location is close to the entrance of Yellowstone closest to Lamar Valley which was perfect because we wanted to get there as early as possible to beat crowds and see the animals - which we did. The lodge itself is right in the middle of several really good restaurants and bars and there is also a restaurant and bar in the lodge. We made use of the bar and the bartender was able to answer some of our questions about the park. He was busy but took care of everything. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The lodge definitely has that cabin in the woods feel - it felt just right for this type of trip.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2017

The rooms were clean but the facilities were sub-par. No air conditioning in our room. The "free wifi" had such poor signal strength on the 2nd floor that it dropped constantly and was completely unusable. The parking around the building has no painted lines so everyone was just taking up twice as much space as necessary and there was no parking left at all when we checked in. The lady at the desk suggested we park across the street. Across the street the shop worker seemed annoyed that we were parking there. So, definitely not a great parking set up.
They take a credit card on file for charges, but would not provide a receipt at checkout showing no charges had been made - which is standard practice.
I would stay here again only because there are almost no options in the area. I think if this were a destination with more options they would have to do better to compete.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2017

We spent last night at Soda Butte Lodge in Cooke City, Montana and I was so excited to share the experience, I'm already posting my review.

First of all, this lodge is extremely clean. Our room was beautifully decorated with local photographs. The furniture was nice (and real wood) and the king size bed was heavenly. The mattress was firm, but not hard as a rock.The bath tub was long and deep. I enjoyed a nice long, hot bath last night.

I use a cane and walking is very painful for me, so I was a little apprehensive about climbing steps to the second floor. I have to tell you, it was well worth it. We had a creek view room and even though it got a little cool, I kept the windows open all night, just to hear the beautiful creek. I took a video that I hope I can upload to share with all of you. We slept very well and I so hated to leave.

We ate breakfast this morning in their restaurant. The meals were great and were "Montana Sized" in both value (under $10 each) and quantity (I couldn't finish all of mine). We look forward to returning! Thank you for such a great experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a creek side room if it's warm enough to leave the windows open
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2017

I stayed there for 5 nights iwth my wife and found it comfortable. If you want to see buffalo, moose, bears, sheep or elk this is the place for you. Each morning we drove through the Lamar Valley going into Yellowstone and again returning to the lodge in the afternoon. There must be 500 or more buffalo in the Lamar valley and you almost always have to stop for them because they are on the road. If you stay someplace else you will not have ready access to so many animalsand if you stay near the Hayden Valley the only buffalo you will see will be far away from the road for the most part. I would go back again and if you are a snowmobiler the lodge is open for you so be sure to take advantage of this great location. The resturant has lots of good food for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and it has a lounge with large windows where you can sit and meet people. In the winter it has a large fireplace to keep you nice and warm.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view and are quite.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#1 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
0.1 km away
Super 8 Cooke City Yellowstone Park Area

Been to Soda Butte Lodge? Share your experiences!