My family (three boys 2, 4,5) husband and I stayed here for a weekend in the shoulder season (October) – it was terrific! I can’t wait to come back.
This is not a working Dude ranch rather a 5-star style lodge. Everything at this lodge is understated and extremely comfortable and in tip-top shape – there is not a hair out of place. The staff looks after every detail no matter where you look. The décor is stylish, very Montana, but not over the top “ranchy”. There is a lovely stone fireplace with big comfy, leather sofas near the bar area for relaxing, cocktails and breakfast. There is a huge porch overlooking the Gallatin River and a gigantic mountain. The outdoor gardens, trout pond, fire pit and grill area are all designed to perfection. Rainbow Ranch has the biggest tiled hot tub I’ve ever seen next to a gigantic stone fireplace – and it all over looks the lovely grounds, river and mountains. The staff is extremely professional and attends to every detail without being stuffy or overbearing – everyone was incredibly friendly, helpful and nice.
The rooms are equally understated and charming. Our room had 2 bedrooms with cool queen sized log beds. Soft sheets and real down pillows made for good sleeping. There was a stone fireplace at the foot of the bed with a pre-made wood fire, ready to go. We also had a very nice sized porch/deck with Adirondack-style chairs for relaxing. Thick towels, Mouton&Brown toiletries and nice water pressure rounded out the accommodations.
Best of all was the food. We ate dinner one night in the dining room and probably had the best fine dining meal we had all year. This could easily be the best place to eat in all of Montana. The entrees ranges from $30-38 to $47 for the specials. And it was worth it. I ordered Quail with farrow, and wilted greens. My husband had the Elk – cooked to perfection. The service was knowledgeable, friendly and really paced the meal well, especially since we had our young children with us. The home-made charcuterie platter for appetizer and home made desserts and ice creams were out of this world. The wine list was extremely well chosen and broad enough to satisfy a range of budgets. Continental breakfast was included with our room, and at first it seemed a bit modest but after sidling up to the bar, it was simply perfect. Everything was homemade: zucchini bread, almond croissants, plain croissants, pistachio filled éclairs, raisin scones, sun dried tomato and spinach quiche, quiche Lorraine, free-range hard boiled eggs, amazing from-the-oven granola, fresh yogurt and delicious fresh fruit salad. They offered 4 kinds of juices, delicious coffee and teas.
I would stay again here at any time – I really loved this place, as did my children. While its not a “kids” place, we felt very comfortable here as did they. There were about 2 other rooms with small kids when we were there. Rainbow Ranch is about 20 minutes from Big Sky ski resort and about 45 miles from the west entrance to Yellowstone. If you want to hike Ousel Falls and explore Big Sky or hike to Lava Lake, this is a great basecamp. If you want to stop by here en route to Yellowstone – Bozeman, it’s a terrific choice, too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rainbow Ranch Lodge is an intimate twenty-one room hotel and gourmet restaurant located on the banks of the Gallatin River in Big Sky, Montana. Whether riverside or pondside, accommodations at Rainbow Ranch Lodge provide a sanctuary for post-adventure relaxing or a romantic getaway for two. Located in a sweeping valley in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, the Rainbow Ranch Lodge's location is ideal for both summer and winter activities. Our proximity to Yellowstone National Park affords our guests endless opportunities for outdoor adventure and exploration, including world-class fly fishing, horseback riding, hiking, whitewater rafting, and kayaking. Whether you choose an experienced local guide service or venture out on your own, the breathtakingly rugged, natural beauty of southwest Montana will restore and rejuvenate your senses. One of the top 10 winter destinations in North America, the Big Sky area offers a variety of winters activities including downhill skiing at Big Sky Resort, Moonlight Basin and Lone Mountain Ranch, as well as cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, dog sledding, and winter fly fishing. If your winter preferences lean more towards comfort and warmth, the Rainbow Ranch Lodge's spa services and luxurious guest rooms provide the perfect alternative to a day spent outdoors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Rainbow Ranch Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rainbow Ranch Hotel Gallatin Gateway
- Rainbow Hotel Gallatin Gateway
- Rainbow Ranch Montana