“Big surprise...”
Review of Monowi Tavern

Monowi Tavern
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Lynch
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I stopped in on a late Saturday, expecting maybe 3-5 people there.
The lot, streets and side parking was all full, for the Monowi Tavern was having a 50th anniversary party for Elsie the owner.
We met her children, grandchildren, and many nieces and nephews. Stayed nearly 2 hours, and only left so we could get to our hotel, an hour away.
Food is always great, but today took the cake....

Date of visit: June 2021
Write a reviewReviews (12)

Reviewed 2 June 2021

Can say enough about the lovely lady who runs the tavern and the wonderful men that we spoke with there, Had a few beers and a hamburger. It was such a memorable time. My husband and I will cherish this visit. It could not be sweeter.
BIG THANKS MISS ELSIE.

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 24 May 2021

Monowi has exactly one person, Elsie. She is mayor and owns the bar. Walking in, it’s like a step back in time. There are some modern things like a flat screen TV, but the bar and many fixtures have been there for ages.

The food is typical bar food, very basic, however the prices are great. Beer is very basic, because there’s not much of a market for anything else.

Elsie and the regulars there are great, very friendly. You can easily get involved in a conversation. The bathroom I’ve heard is an outhouse (I didn’t use it), and she only takes cash, so keep that in mind.

It’s worth a side trip just for the experience.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 12 September 2020

My wife and I have traveled all over Nebraska and love finding hidden gems and dive bars. I recently heard about Elsie and the town of Monowi NE. Since we were going to be in the area visiting some Nebraska Passport site, we decided to give Monowi and it's one resident a visit.
First of all, the drive along the Cowboy Trail is amazing. The views are spectacular and since it was early fall, the colors were amazing. A very unique part of the state.
When we arrived at the tavern we were greeted by Elsie and a few customers. Being a fan of dive bars, this was like a Holy Grail for me. Upon entering the tavern you can sense the unique history of this location.
Elsie was such a pleasure to visit with and some of the locals we met were also wonderful people. In its heyday, this town once had 150 people and now is down to its last resident. Not too sure what the future holds so we were so glad we took the time to visit.
We had a couple of beers and shared time with our new friends. We signed the guestbook and notice that the visitors before us had traveled from North Carolina. So many people have gone out of their way to visit this piece of history and I'm sure they've all had the same wonderful experience we did.
There are experiences in life that stay with you forever and I'm sure this will be one of them. Enjoy the the drive, have a cold beer, make a new friend, and consider the history of this place. Oh yes, Elsie has a complete tavern menu of food she serves. We did not try the food because Elsie seemed a little tired. Participants from a funeral at another town came to her tavern to eat and relax. It was early afternoon, and she had already had many customers. I can only hope to be going as strong as her when I reach that age.
Enjoy and tip well!! Cheers

Date of visit: September 2020
2  Thank Bob S
Reviewed 20 May 2020 via mobile

When we read about Monowi, we knew we had to stop and visit! We were happy that Mayor Elsie was there and was gracious enough to have her picture taken with us.

Date of visit: May 2020
4  Thank CindyLeigh1958

Been to Monowi Tavern? Share your experiences!