“I'd stay again”

Wyndham Grand Desert
Ranked #31 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My sister let us stay at her time share as a Christmas gift to my wife and I. Athough its not on the strip, it is close enough to walk to. Although we didn't use the kitchen for anything while we there, I could see how a family could really save a lot of money by eating there instead of eating out for every meal.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,229)

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Let me just say I'm a "strip girl". But for once we decided to stay off the strip. It is more relaxing, but then I don't really go to Vegas to relax.
The Place is very nice a welcome change from staying in the Casino, less noisy and not smokey. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo my in-laws and our 2 Kids and there was plenty on room for the six of us.
And a I have to say in a place like Vegas, having a kitchen safes huge bucks!
The garden and pool is absolutely gorgeous. The pool and hot tub were open, even during the coolest time in Vegas.
It is about 1 mile to walk to the strip. There is also a shuttle every hour that will drop you at Harrah's, the heart of the strip. The grocery store shuttle is handy as well. So you don't really need a car:)
It was nice to have the Hofbrauhaus close by, it is one of my favorite Vegas (or Munich) destinatins. Lots of fun on a Saturday night.
If I go to Vegas with Kids again I would most certainly stay there. But as a adult trip I prefer the strip:)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank JennyistReiselustig
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We own a timeshare in Las Vegas but decided to stay a little closer to the strip. Check in was very smooth until they said to go over to the other desk for your "welcome gift". I knew what that was all about and i wanted to just skip it. But I went along with my husband and a very outgoing, woman proceeded to try and give us numerous free things such as shows, buffets, gambling chips for just 75 minutes of our time! I will say, after trying to politely turn her down two times, I then had to rudely say No and walk away. I understand they are sales people but they should be focusing on people who are interested in buying, not people who already own.

The room was on the 6th floor and overlooked the strip. It was a beautiful view and a very spacious suite. A very very comfortable king size bed (wished I had one at home), well equipped kitchen, nice furnishings in the living room and bedroom. I was disappointed in the bathroom, as I hoped there would be a jacuzzi bath, but the shower worked great and there was immediate hot water. The weather was cool so we did not use the pool or hot tubs but the area was very nicely landscaped. We had rented a car for the week and had no problem finding a parking space and enjoyed traveling and finding our way around the city.

Very close to the airport and we never heard a plane. It was a great trip and loved having the washer and dryer and being able to come home with clean laundry! Loved being close to the strip and the awesome view, I would stay here again and just by pass the sales desk!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 670 Bella Tower- Great view Stratosphere to Mandalay Bay!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Domalu
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We were very happy with our recent 4-day stay but the Resort has its flaws. Our family needed 2 beds in the second bedroom which was impossible to find with this proximity to the strip at $139/ night. We were upgraded to the 2-bedroom Presidential Suite on the 12th floor. The benefits definately outweighed the flaws for our group = thus 4-stars.
BENEFITS: Our unit was on the pool side and very quiet. The full kitchen allowed us to make our own breakfast -we prefer this over complimentary breakfasts at other hotels which are pretty generic and often stop by 9 AM. How many times can you eat out and not get tired of it? The kitchen permitted us to keep snacks, beer which was so convenient. The unit had a washer/ dryer and laundry soap, dishwasher soap, salt and pepper, popcorn, lots of glasses and stem ware - I appreciate having these items. A flatscreen TV in each BR and LR. Supermarkets within a short drive, drugstore a short walk, strip was certainly walkable. We had a problem with the oven not turning off, and maintenance replaced the range by the time we returned to our room. The pool / hot tub areas outside are very nice, serene; our sons used the hot tub at about 3 AM too. We arrived very late (2 AM) and no sales pitch occured. Our sons used the shuttle to Harrahs once without problem. There was always parking and the area felt very safe. The shop on the 3rd floor had basic food items (bread, tortillas) and pharmacy type items - inflated prices though. CRITICISMS: Overall the criticisms are 'small' stuff in my evaluation. The morning after arriving, we received a 'welcome' call at 9 AM - acknowledging our 2 AM arrival - to ask us to pick up our 'welcome package' at the front desk. The call was too early, given our arrival time! We sent our young cocky adult sons to get their 'welcome package' which disappointed their sales rep, who wanted the parents! Thus, no sales pitch. The welcome package is a joke: a single toothpaste sample and shampoo sample (which the unit already had). The game room is not for adults really; it is small, a single pool table, single air hockey table, single Wei, nothing was 'complimentary'. The master bathroom's shower and single sink are open to the bedroom, so no privacy there. The only cleanliness flaw I noticed (I'm picky) was finding a clump of long dark hairs on the shower's drain - we are all blond so they weren't ours! That told me the shower floor wasn't cleaned between guests! Carts were not available for guests in Tower 2, so we had to huff our groceries from parking lot to the 12th floor ourselves and we saw others doing the same. A hotel bellboy even had an empty cart in the parking lot but wouldn't allow us to use it - he said it wasn't 'permitted' - that was annoying.
SUMMARY: Despite these criticisms, we would definately stay there again. It was a great value, very nice and quiet unit and it more than met our needs.

Room Tip: Ask for pool-side rooms for quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank SteamboatTravelers
Reviewed 16 February 2012

It was kind of like a date arranged on online by a service that leaves you thinking it was OK, not quite sure if you want to repeat it, but realizing all the good qualities you saw. Big, spotless, well equipped apartments are undeniable. But inside towers sticking up out of parking spaces, staffed by Vegas sales people that make you want to avoid them, "no, thanks, I'm not interested in a free breakfast to endure a time share pitch". Yet, you look around at the really spacious apartment you are in. The neighbors cram six people into theirs, we are glad we are just two. But we couldn't walk to the strip, so close yet so far, on pedestrian unfriendly streets. Yet they will take you in their shuttle, they even took us one night in their limo, and you know without a doubt they really appreciate you staying with them. But we walk into Aria, Bellagio, Trump, art and fountains everywhere, and away from the casino racket, "this is what I want". Yet, they are expensive and you don't get the big roomy Wyndham apartment for less money. So, would I go out on a second date and stay here again? Probably, after all, once the romance is gone its all about practicality anyway, and this place is practical. And appeciative, and affordable. Its just not love.

Room Tip: A large number are rented back by desperate time share owners or companies that collect them from de...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business