“arguably the best Thai restaurant in the USA”
Review of Lotus of Siam

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Weather damage - closed until further notice
Reviewed 17 October 2007

This place has had many reviews as probably the best Thai restaurant in the USA. And the food is really off the chart.
I have been here several times and was really amazed every time by the excellent quality of the food.

The wine list is also surprisingly large for a small restaurant.

But unfortunately the overall experience is not five star.
The staff is very friendly, but not very helpful: usually there are specials that are not on the menu, but unless you ask, you will never find out. And it is also possible to set the level of spicy-ness to your own liking, but this is also something you have to bring up yourself.
Believe me: ask for level 3 out of ten, unless you can handle extremely spicy.
One time I forgot to indicate I wanted it less spicy, and the waiter forgot to ask also, and it was almost inedible so spicy.

Reviewed 8 August 2007

Not sure the "critics ever have eaten Thia food. But let me tell the readers the service was bad thedecor was awfull and both were five star comapred to the food. the wrong spices were used poor quality vegies and meet and the dishes were watered down garbage.

2  Thank sadgdg
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We went to the week-day lunch buffet. The food was tasty and clean and the service was great. They had lots of great vegetarian dishes which were nicely spiced. The only criticism is that it is more like a Thai-Chinese buffet than pure Thai. I recommend it to people travelling to Las Vegas although I would not return to Vegas just to go to this restuarant. I would like to go there for dinner and order off their main menu.

Reviewed 10 June 2007

This is not a bad place, but never I have I had my expectations so let down as this place did. With a 28/30 food rating on Zagat, and so many people saying this is the best Thai food ever, I guess my expectations were high. Also, while the decor rating on Zagat is deservingly low 12, and the service a 21, I was also disappointed in these aspects. Even if the food were as great as so many other people say it is, service and decor are a part of the dining experience, so I don't understand why this place ranks 8th among the hundreds of restaurants in Las Vegas.
I'll first comment on the decor. Being in an out-of-the-way mall shouldn't mean no attention to decor. Thailand is a beautiful country with wonderful artwork. They could have at least framed some travel posters of Thailand, or livened up the place with Thai artwork. Instead, the walls are primarily decorated with signed pictures of unknown entertainment figures, like a Hollywood burger joint. Improving the appearance of the place shouldn't have to be costly.
Next for the service. There were a number of glitches with the service which, while not horrible, certainly detracted from the dining experience. First, I wasn't even offered a wine list. While I don't usually order wine in Thai restaurants (can one really appreciate the wine with such spicy food?), I don't understand why our waiter didn't mention the list's availability. Next, we were left sitting around for over 10 minutes after we had closed our menu, even though the place wasn't busy at the time. The timing of the dishes was also off, with one of our main dishes being brought in before we had half-finished the soup, and then an inexplicably long delay between our first and second main dish. We had to ask twice for our second round of Thai iced teas--or I should say 2 1/2 times, because after the second request he brought back one instead of two for unclear reasons.
But what I really don't understand is why so many people rave about the food. My partner and I really like Thai food, and have eaten at many Thai restaurants, and the food here was average at best. My partner and I had Tom Yum Gai soup to start with--a soup we've had at probably a dozen places. This was the best of the four dishes we had--especially for me because I like spicy food. Nevertheless, the soup was so spicy, I could barely make out the ingredients. Where's the talent in making food so spicy you can't taste anything else?
For our main dishes, we had two of the dishes from their Northern Thai specialty menu (for unclear reasons, they only gave us one of these menus and we had to share). One was a pork-vegetable-mushroom dish and the other a chicken-noodle-vegetable dish. The former dish had exactly two small cubes of pork, and one piece of inedible pork gristle. There wasn't much more chicken in the other dish. The vegetables were overcooked in both.
For desert, only one possibility was mentioned, which we tried. It was sweet sticky rice with a scoop of ice cream and a slice of mango. It was refreshing, but not a terribly inspired dish.
On the plus side, the bill was easy on the wallet (especially since we didn't have wine, which was a good idea because it would have simply tasted like hot peppers). I've had worse Thai food, but I've definitely had better--even in places such as San Francisco's Tenderloin district.
Our dinner wasn't bad, but I'm personally sorry we wasted one of our opportunities to sample one of the many wonderful restaurants Las Vegas has to offer (for goodness' sake, don't pass up on going to Rosemary's Restaurant, for example). Unless we picked a particularly bad night, I think this restaurant must be resting on its laurels (although I'll hasten to add that it was half-empty when we were there). I know I'm advising against the mainstream of advice here, but TRUST ME, this place is simply not the culinary wonderland it's made out to be.

10  Thank lebelgo
Reviewed 23 May 2007

I am a foodie and this is the best Thai I have ever had. Unfortunately, I will not be able to sample more meals until we go to Las Vegas next year. Crispy rice with sausage was amazing!

The were many reviews on the wall including one that rates this place as the best Thai in the US.

It is located in a very peculiar mall - drove down Sahara and the back of the shopping strip faced the street - looked like a ware house from this vantage and almost didn't go it - When you do drive around to the front, it is still a relative dump, but the food was fabulous.

Did not order wine, but there were many moderately priced well chosen wines and a number of very high end wines - OPUS in two vintages, Chat. Margaux - I translated this to mean that they get an upscale clientele.