“Fun to play, not to stay”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #49 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Fun to play, not to stay”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in January. Got a pretty cheap rate which was nice. We knew we were not staying at a 4 or 5 star hotel. You get what you pay for.
When we checked in we were asked if we wanted to upgrade to the recently renovated "Bellagio style" rooms. Sure, why not? Just a few dollars more.
Well if these rooms were upgraded, I hate to see what our original room might have looked like.

There was nothing Bellagio about this room. It was a standard motel room. Holiday Inn level or below. The outlet was loose from the wall in the bathroom and my hairdryer plug fell out. This was fixed right away I must say. The towels at my gym are nicer that what they give you at NYNY. They are tiny, paper thin and very rough. Very dated bathroom. There was a beeping sound outside the window that woke us up every morning. No idea what it was.

We did had a fantastic time at the casino. Really friendly dealers. Loved the center casino bar. The female bartender at the sports bar was a riot.

We had a great trip - the NYNY is great for the casino, but not for the room. Won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't bother to upgrade to Madison Ave. room. Nothing spectacular.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BeachMartini
Noreen S, Guest Relations Manager at New York - New York Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we greatly appreciate the feedback. We are so sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience in one of our newly refreshed Madison Rooms. We welcome the opportunity to win back your loyalty, please email me at guestservices@nyforme.com at your convenience.

Best regards,

Noreen Stewart
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,215)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here from 3-7 Jan and my Father also joined us on our trip. We had connecting rooms which was great, we still had our privacy as did my Father. We stayed in a Madison Avenue suite.

The rooms were clean and tidy with plenty of room. I really have no complaints about our stay at the New York New York Hotel and Casino. This was the first hotel we stayed at on our 7 week holiday around the world and coming back home and reflecting on each hotel we stayed at, this hotel was awesome value for money, and made our stay in Las Vegas that little bit more enjoyable.

The New York New York was in a great location, had plenty of restaurants, attractions other than just the Casino. It has it's own night club inside the building, pubs, games arcade, roller coster, ice cream shops, cafés, Sushi, Starbucks, the list is endless. Everything is really handy and it's all under the one roof.

We did get to have a look around and walk through other Hotel/Casinos but if we ever go back to Las Vegas I will definatly stay at the New York New York again!

If I had to complain about anything and this is being really picky for our whole stay one of our table lamps wasn't working and was sitting on an angle, which no cleaning staff noticed. But like I said thats being really picky.

Overall they have great facilities, friendly and helpful staff and clean and modern rooms, plenty of space everything you want in a hotel room.

I did a lot of research before booking this hotel room but I'm glad I made the decision to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Roller Coster.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank quiche84
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I recently completed a stay at the New York - New York Casino in Las Vegas. I booked one of their mid-level "Madison Ave" rooms. Overall I was pleased with the stay, especially considering this is one of the older properties on the strip, and especially considering many of the people I was with stayed at Luxor and hated it.
First, my check in was quick and friendly. I did arrive late, so that might be why there was no line, but overall check-in was great. I was also able to reserve a late check out of 6pm (for a cost of $40) which was excellent. The room was a short walk through the casino and I was given a room on the 16th floor with a view of the Roller Coaster and the mountains. You do not hear the noise at all from the coaster, so do not worry about that. The room itself was spacious and clean, but not the most modern or updated I've been in. Thankfully there was good hi-speed internet access and a nice workdesk.
(As an aside...will people stop complaining about the $18 "Resort Fee". Every casino has it, and you are made CLEARLY aware of this fee when you book your room online. It covers a lot of amenities you probably will not use, but tough. If you don't want to pay it, stay off the strip at a chain hotel!)
The room had plenty of free cable TV channels, a free in-room safe, which was very easy to sue. The bed was clean, and very comfortable. The bathroom, while showing a little age, was clean, and had a great shower. (Although a very high step-in height, so be careful!!)
I had a very nice breakfast one morning at Il Fornaio in the hotel, and lunch one day at the Broadway Burger Bar. Both were reasonable priced (for Vegas) and quite good, so give them a shot.
Overall this casino still has a young energetic vibe, and quite good in-hotel nightlife, especially the Dueling Piano bar. I think this was a very good choice for the money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ChewInRI
Netherlands
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My son and I had been here several times, but never stayed here.Since this hotel is recommended, also by professional reviewers, we decided to stay here part of our 2012 Las Vegas vacation. Easy acces by car. Reception was friendly. We booked a Park Avenue Premium View room.The room was on the 26th floor on the corner of the LV boulevard and Tropicana.See the photo. Th room was ok, though I didn't like the connecting door to the next room, because of the sounds coming through. Fortunately we had quiet neighbours from the UK.That much I was able to establish without any effort.They should assign rooms like that to (large) families.Otherwise no complaints.House keeping was fine.The atmosphere in the hotel was pleasent and sort of intimate.It was nice having breakfast on the patio of Il Fornaio and also Cinchin was a nice restaurant.The service in the casino was fine. Cocktails were offered nonstop.The express checkout was easy and convenient.All in all a nice stay

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed at the NYNY hotel during a guys weekend trip and my friends and I was very pleased with the hotel. Here are some additional details:

Checking In: We arrived at the hotel at about 11:00 pm on a Wednesday night, so there was a very minimal wait. When checking in, the person showed us a picture of our room (same picture as on the website). The room that we had was the "Park Avenue" room which is the smallest. Considering there was three of us sharing the room, we almost decided to upgrade, but good thing we didn't because the room was very big. Since my other friend wanted his own room, I called to request an adjoining room. Unfortunately they could not accomindate us, however my friend had the room right across the one we had, so this was no problem. After checking us in, the person directed us towards the elevators (watch out there are at least two sets of elevators, make sure you choose the correct one).

Room: As I mentioned above, we was almost going to request a bigger room, but the one we was assigned was very spacious. Even for three grown men, the room was very accomidating. There was a desk and the closet with the television in the middle of the closet. There was no refrigerator (I think there is a extra charge for this) and the internet was included with the resort fee. The bathroom had adequate space. We had the farthest room from the elevator so noise was not a problem, however getting to the room from the elevator was like walking in a little maze. The view we had was of the M&M store across the street, since we was on the 7th floor, we did not have much of a view.

Location: The NYNY hotel was in a great location. Across the street was the MGM and from the MGM you can catch the monorail to the other hotels. Also across the street was the Excalibur hotel.

Roller Coaster: The room we had did not have the roller coaster right outside the room so it did not bother us.

Negatives:
-The negatives we had, was right outside the window was a light shining from the roof below up on the side of the hotel. This meant if we did not close the shade, the light would be shining into the room. This was not a problem for us, but others might have a problem.
-The resort fee ($18 per night) was a minor negative. Even though we knew about it and we did use the internet access, I wish the newspaper would be dropped off or you can not receive it and get a little credit. Same thing for the fitness center. Either you use it or if you don't, get a little credit.
-This is not a negative, but make sure if you don't want to walk far from the elevator, please make sure to tell the front desk person. We had the last room on the one side and the walk was couple minutes to get to the elevator.

Overall: The NYNY hotel was excellent. The room was very spacious and it had the amenities we needed. I would definately stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends