“Excellent!”

Omni Mount Washington Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Reviewed 17 November 2011

If you visit the White Mountains, you need to stay here. The hotel and its grounds are so beautiful. The staff is very helpful and there are lots of things to do. I will recommend the tour of the hotel which runs everyday.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gepmo

Reviewed 14 November 2011

This hotel is great. It's got a grand old feel with a spectacular view of Mt. Washington. However, if you are looking for a modern hotel this not for you. The bathrooms are older and could use a face lift and the floors creak when you walk down the hallways, but that only makes it more charming. The staff and food were wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Mt Washington
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Had a great time at the Mt. Washington Hotel. Not only were the surroundings stunning, but the hotel was amazing as well. Check in/Check out took a little extra time and our server in Rosebrook was somewhat unfriendly. Other than that the service was incredible. Dinner at Stickneys was to die for, delicious and delectable in every way! Our waiter was friendly and held small talk with us, and was constantly refilling our water glasses. I was impressed by the variety of ethnicities employed as well. Also, downstairs where the shops, spa, pool, and restaurant is was extremely cute! They even have their own postoffice! The old feel was one I want to re-live again and again. We were on the second floor facing toward Mt. Washington and the view from our room was breath taking. Really enjoyed my stay at the Mt. Washington Hotel, can't wait for next time!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing Washington! The views are SPECTACULAR!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dandersen413
Reviewed 11 November 2011

The main building is absolutely great: one of those old hotels with style that haven't lost their original glory. Great food (breakfast is awsome), great atmosphere, great surroundings: fantastic for special occasions and in the middle of impressive natural surroundings. There is only one catch: they regularly overbook and for that purpose they have a "lodge" across the street that is as romantic and stylish as a cheap motel. Rooms are spacy and comfortable but the building itself is quit depressing and everything you don't want if you book a room at this hotel. The shuttle to let you enjoy the hotel service, is swift but all in all it is a ripoff: the lodge is the same price as the hotel! So if you book, be shure to mention you don't want to stay at the lodge!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chelleke
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I really had to wait a week and consider what my true experience was with this hotel in order to offer a fair review. I think it is also important to know that my wife and I are really very easy to please and try to make ourselves as "invisible" as possible when we travel. When we travel, we make ourselves "small". You stay in your space, we'll stay in ours and everything will be fine! We don't complain, even if it is warranted. We will for the most part accept poor service, etc. and chock it up to "the waiter is having a bad day" or "the facility is busy with weddings or other events" etc. Bearing all this in mind, this is my experience with the Mt. Washington Resort:

The scenery as you approach from the south will blow you away. It is really that nice. The hotel comes into view in a clearing to the right and up a long winding driveway-in the middle of nowhere- with the Presidential Range in the background and it really is quite stunning. Kind of reminds me of "The Shining" but in a good way. You can imagine what it was like to visit 100 years ago and the lengths people had to go to to get here. This in and of itself prompts you to expect a five star experience.

The valet service took care of the car($5 tip) and because we had confirmed our reservation on-line-the check in was quick and easy. The woman behind the counter(sorry, small complaint but this woman was very nice but didn't speak English all that well and was hard to understand) asked if I needed more than one room key. Ok, come on, there are two people staying in the room. Are two keys going to break the operating budget?! Whatever. We went to our room with the one key- but I digress.Initial impression of the facility is that it is in quite nice condition and well kept. Huge lobby with lots of people milling about and lots of staff on hand You can imagine what it would have been like to visit here 100 years ago.

Elevator ride in old fashioned elevator with a sort of creepy elevator operator who reminded me of Lurch on Adams Family. Hope he doesn't read this. The bellboy brings our one bag-he was very nice and chatty($5 tip) Third floor room which was perfectly acceptable with a queen bed, private bath and sitting room. Unfortunately for us and luck of the draw, I guess, but the room overlooked the employee parking lot and some lower out buildings. Whatever. Someone has to stay in this room, might as well be us. The usual $6 bottles of water on the night stand, etc. etc.

Did a walkaround the facility to check things out and you really do go back in time. Old photos on the walls, antique furniture in the hallways and amazing views out the back windows on all floors overlooking the golfcourse to the Presidential Range in the distance. This is the side of the hotel that you want to stay on. Odd numbered rooms have the view- at least on the third floor.

Down in the basement level are the shops, the Cave and Stickneys Restaurant where we had 7:00 dinner reservations. The restaurant bar was quiet, we arrived early and had a beer or two and wine while we waited. The bar tender/waiter was kind of a dub with no personality. He still got a tip. Whatever. Seated for dinner by our waitress who I tried to make small talk with and chat a bit but she wasn't having it because she was sort of a dub. Still got her 20% tip. Maybe she was having a bad day. Whatever. The food we ordered came promptly, whatever it was I can't remember because it was pretty marginal, at best, and cold . The windows(about a million of them) overlooking the golf course and mountain range were not just dirty but filthy. I thought at first that the cold air had frosted the glass but my wife pointed out that, "no, that's dirt".

Uneventful, quiet night in the room. The bed was comfortable, the TV worked with a marginal selection of channels. With the exception that the toilet is sort of jammed into a corner of the bathroom which makes it somewhat unusable. You actually have to sit on it sideways. Whatever

The buffet breakfast in the dining room the next morning was good, not great and not inexpensive. It was either $53 or $63 for two with tip, I forget. The waiter and busboy were much more animated and friendly than the two dubs the night before and they too, got their 20% tip. The dining room is lovely and I don't recall that the windows were dirty like they were at Stickneys.

We spent the morning and afternoon off site(valet service got $5 tip coming and going) and and had lunch at a restaurant down the street which I think was called Fabyans and which I think-and learned later-might be owned by the same company that owns the Hotel. Not sure. My burger had zero taste and the fries were cold. Whatever. My wife had-chili I think-was reported to be pretty good.(20% tip) Service was fine and the facility was clean.

Dinner that night in the dining room which I think might have been included in the price of our stay. We lucked out as the father of the bride of one of the two weddings taking place that day was apparently some fireworks company guy so there was a really nice fireworks display right out the window on the golf course just as we were having desert. Four course dinner of salad, something else I forget, some sort of wild mushroom dish, filet mignon and apple struedel dessert. Coincidentally, my wife and I had the same combination of courses with the exception of the mushroom dish and dessert-which comes into play later in the night. Anyway...the service was fine,(20% plus Tip) the meal was marginal at best and not inexpensive. Dinner for two with 1 glass of wine and a beer with tip was around $200. Way not worth it.

Quick trip down to The Cave. Nobody there so we didn't stay for a drink and instead went back to the room to call it a night. Now this is where it gets sketchy. Woke up at about one in the morning sick as a dog. Spent the next five hours in the bathroom trying to situate myself on/with the aforementioned and wierdly installed toilet. My sincerest apologies to the poor chambermaid and the reason for the large tip left for you-I did my best under the circumstances-sorry! Now, I'm not suggesting anything about the food-could have been just a fluke thing but I can't get the thought of the weird wild mushroom dish out of my head. Whatever.

So we pack our bags and check out early. There is only one guy at the valet station and he is limping badly for some reason so I feel bad and tell him that I will get the car myself which is fine. I think he might be French Canadian and I can't really understand what he is saying anyway. He still gets his $5 tip. I feel bad for the guy.

Thats it. To summarize:

The location and scenery is incredible
The facility looks really nice on the surface but is in need of some major rehab. Dirt and debris on the porch roof tops. Old sheets of plywood screwed onto the porch roof tops. Plywood boarded up windows, rotting wood, acres of peeling paint
The food was marginal, at best, and expensive.
The staff was helpful based only on our limited interaction with them. We didn't even have the room cleaned each day and dealt with the original allotment of towels(our choice-we really are easy)

Suggestion: Bring a bunch of bottled water, drinks and snacks as once you get here, you are pretty much a captive audience. I am not a cheap person, far from it as a matter of fact I stopped at a bank to load up on $5 bills for tips on the way there) but I just had the impression that they try to jam you for every little thing. At dinner the waiter says "Would you like Peligrino water, Perrier water or faucet water? I assume the bottled water was about $6 glass. The faucett water is just fine.

So, OK, to be fair, during our stay, the hotel was hosting some sort of fireman's convention on Friday night and I think two different weddings on Saturday so they were probably stretched pretty thin. They still charged us full price, however

Two nights for two people with two dinners and one breakfast with tips came to about $1,000
To me, the scenery equals about $700 of that cost

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms have the nice view at least on our floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SuperSerious F
OmniManager_1, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at the Omni Mount Washington Hotel. We are happy to hear that we met many of your expectations, and we hope that you were feeling better by the time you left. At the moment, we are unaware of anyone else who had a similar experience. As improving the guest experience and our facilities is a continuous process, we appreciate the details of your feedback. We will use your thoughts to target our regular operational discussions. Thank you, again, for choosing the Omni Mount Washington Hotel, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to meet all of your expectations during a future visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bretton Woods
The Townhomes at Bretton Woods
#2 of 3 in Bretton Woods
23.2 km away
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!