“Enjoyable meal”

Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We happened upon this and tried it for lunch. The setting is nice and the place is popular. We were pleased to see a number of vegetarian and vegan options (not what we expected from a pub in NH!). The vegetarian chili was nice and spicy, the cauliflour tacos were very good, and the burger was decent too. Service was friendly and prompt, we enjoyed our meals!

Reviewed 31 March 2018

In the Lake Sunapee area, your dining options are few and less than dazzling. There's Bubba'ser in Newbury Harbor where they are at least consistent. And then there is The Flying Goose Pub. Every time we decide to give them 'another try' we end up asking ourselves 'why!?' Once in a while we get a decent meal and fool ourselves into thinking that they have improved. They have not.

Tonight we decided to eat at TFG. Don't ask me why. We were bored with the other options and decided to give it a shot. I ordered the Vegetarian Shepherd's pie. Simple, right? Some corn, some lentils, carrots ... topped with mashed potatoes. If a shepherd could make it, why not a chef? The dish arrived in reasonably short order. Delivered by a delightful server who was pleasant, on top of things and lovely. I was amazed ... if that is the correct term... to see the little iron skilllet accompanied by a pile of 'baby carrots' that were utterly dry and had clearly been either boiled or microwaved. They were not tender. Nor were they crisp. I tried to snap one in half. It bent. Someone had made a half hearted attempt to dress them up as a side dish by sprinkling some dried parsley on top. This was unsuccessful. I took a sip of my lousy cabernet sauvignon ... the only one on offer ... and tried the shepherd's pie. Oh my god. Someone had cooked the daylights out of the vegetables. I am sure that this was not their first night on the menu. The corn was shriveled, the carrots had become little lumps and the lentils were hard. The mashed potatos were fine. Difficult to screw that one up. I ask myself ...what was I expecting? Perhaps a simple edible meal and a relaxing evening....

All of this being said ... the lovely woman who was our server did a wonderful job. She was certainly apologetic and appeared to be appalled by the carrot. My meal was taken off of our bill and we declined our second glass of wine. I am fairly certain that we will NOT be returning. I doubt I will be able to bury a meal this miserable into the back of my mind.

If you want a burger and a beer - this is your place. Both are very good here. Other than that .... RUN FOR THE HILLS!

2  Thank Pamela P
Reviewed 28 March 2018

I was warned by locals that the food here was not good and to only order typical pub entrees. I figured I was safe ordering a burger, but it was the worst burger I have ever had. Hard, over done and tasteless. Partner ordered chicken and it was only a bit better. Beer is good. Service is not. Over priced because there are so few choices in New London.

2  Thank SueM722
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

This venue is easy to locate at the intersection of two main roads in New London, two minutes from I-89. They always have an assortment of in house craft made beers. I can't recall having an indifferent offering. In my most recent lunch visit I had the Pilsner which was refreshing and excellent.
The food is good company for the beer. Really good burgers, fish and chips, etc. with a daily slate of specials adorn the menu. It's not unique fare, but it is well presented, tasty, and arrives quickly. Service is friendly and the views of Mount Kearsarge, along with this venues ambience, make this one of the areas better dining experiences.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We come here a few times a year. The food is ok, nothing I'm ever dying for. The last time I ordered a burger, she asks how I want it, medium I say, and it comes out well done. Why bother asking? Not juicy at all. And quite expensive. The onion rings are very skinny and really good. I think from now on I'll just have a beer and skip the food. They only serve the beer they brew. They don't really talk up the beer at all. It's a little strange. The hefe is my fav, one of my favorite beers anywhere

1  Thank IrishGirlinConcord

Been to The Flying Goose Brew Pub and Grille? Share your experiences!