“Not what I expected...not in a good way!”
Review of 1785 Inn

1785 Inn
Ranked #15 of 21 North Conway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2017

I want to start by saying that I booked this Bed and Breakfast via Expedia. Me and my husband arrived at the Inn around 3 o'clock on a very hot June afternoon, and we were taken for a tour by the Male Innkeeper ( I don't remember his name) the Inn looked like it needed a fresh coat of paint and a good cleaning, seems like it has been redecorated in years. We were shown to our very tiny room with which seemed to be the tiniest ceiling fan I have ever seen! I assumed that the ceiling fan was on because they hadn't yet started the Air Conditioning. The walls had chipped paint and the soap dish in the bathroom was falling off. I noticed after a few minutes that there wasn't an A.C in the room. I found the female Innkeeper ( can't remember her name either) and I told her that I had a heart condition and I didn't realize there wouldn't be an A.C. in the room, she then said " Well there's a ceiling fan!" I told her that wasn't exactly the same as an A.C.I asked her why it was advertised on the sign out front that they have A.C. and she said 2 out of the 17 rooms don't have A.C. I asked if we could switch rooms she said we couldn't because they were completely booked. I asked her if we could get a refund and try to find another room and she said we couldn't because we booked thru Expedia.She just didn't seem to care about the problem. I tried to get in touch with Expedia and since the Inn had such horrible wi fi I couldn't get through to them so we had to either stay the night or lose $150 if we left. Me and my husband stayed in the " living room" as long as we could because the A.C. was on there ( barely) and it was better then having to sit in our 80 degree room.. The only saving grace of this whole nightmare was the waitress Jenny that served us breakfast in the morning. We will never go back. the female Innkeeper couldn't care less about my heart condition or the fact that me and my husband spend a very uncomfortable night in their outdated and somewhat unclean Inn. With all the wonderful Bed and Breakfast in North Conway do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: None see above
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluedaisy1186

Reviewed 13 March 2017

Visited the inn as part of a "bike the Whites" package biking program. The drinks were tasty and original and at the time, the vat of vodka soaked-fruit by the bar provided a very fun way to cap off a day of biking. Very charming. Upscale. Better suited for couples than families.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OliverHolidayTravel
Reviewed 7 March 2017

The inn keepers are great. The rooms are good. Ours was a little cold due to where it was located. The day we were there they got over 8 inches of fresh snow. We went out and cross country skied right outside there door. Your stay comes with free cross country ski passes for the trails outside there door. The breakfast is fabulous. We had a waffle with strawberries with fresh whipped cream and local syrup. Another great perk is they do have a bar on site where they can serve, beer, wine and some spirits. Defiently would stay here again. Common areas were still decorated for the Holidays and were so cute.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

We have been visiting the 1785 Inn since we moved from there in 1992.
First we enjoyed our wedding reception in 1987 and have been returning once or twice a year.
Becky's inimitable baking, Charlie's expertise in wine and hosting, all within its beautiful decor are legendary with all their visitors.
Also, xc skiing can be enjoyed on its property!
It is a treasure and one that should be experienced by all!

Katheryn and Denis
Chester, Vt

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katherynchasse
Reviewed 19 January 2017

I stayed at the inn for one night as part of a New Jersey tour. I don't usually stay in B&Bs, so I don't have a lot of comparables. I enjoyed my stay. The the room was comfortable, if a bit dated (there was a tanning lamp in the bathroom! How cool.)

What made this stay charming was the warm welcome of Charlie, the inn keeper (and owner, I think?). He made a fire in the cozy living room and brought us glasses red wine to enjoy while doing some work. Now that's some good New England hospitality for you! The location is great. We had an amazing mountain view while enjoying fresh apple turnovers and eggs Benedict for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends