“Grand steaks and architecture”
Review of The Library

Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 2 October 2018

This restaurant is part of a grand old mansion and has become a longtime local favorite restaurant. This restaurant is great for business meetings and for romantic dinners. This has a great bar enjoyed by all.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 2 October 2018

I've been here a number of times and one thing I can say they're are consistent - the food, the staff, the service - everything is on point. My go to meal here is always a steak, as they are easily the best traditional steak house in the downtown area.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 25 September 2018

My husband and I made reservations to have our Anniversary dinner at your restaurant this past Saturday night. We arrived on time at 7:30, was seated promptly, ordered with in 10 minutes of meeting our waitress. After waiting for over an hour for our entree with our waitress only checking in twice with the second time saying it would still be another 15-20 minutes before we got served we paid for our wine and left without dinner. As we were leaving the staff was apologetic and also said we were not the first ones to walk out. I'm so disappointed with your restaurant. It ruined our experience and our anniversary night.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank 25cathyo56
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Have eaten here before for a special occasion but that was years ago. Stopped by with family for drinks and was reminded again of what a lovely place this is. Worth a stop.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 15 September 2018

The Library is one of our GO TO restaurants in Portsmouth. The steaks are great. I get the 8oz Filet and like my steak more on the well done side. I always order Medium Well+ so it doesn't get overcooked. Our waitress talked me out of that and I went with Medium Well. It came undercooked (RED in the middle). I sent it back and it came out a few minutes later perfectly done for me. My husband's Medium 8oz Filet was just right. Sides are served family style; we got the Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans Amandine. Both were so good and plentiful. We brought home enough leftovers for a full other meal. I ordered the Seven Layer Chocolate Cake To Go. The serving was huge and the cake was fantastic! The icing is like chocolate fudge. We were sat at a table for two right beside an open window and I loved that! I could hear music playing somewhere in the distance. We started with drinks. Their cocktail menu is extensive and the wine list adequate. I highly recommend this restaurant. The only con is that, like most of Portsmouth, the parking is limited. We lucked into a spot just down the street!

Date of visit: September 2018