6 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
GardenInn.comUS$168
Hotels.comUS$168
FindHotelUS$168
Expedia.comUS$168
PricelineUS$168
StayForLongUS$187
1,597 results
All reviews valet parking great location front desk within walking distance breakfast buffet restaurants and shops street parking valet service pool and hot tub very nice hotel great place to stay waffles new hampshire downtown
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 March 2021

Super convenient location. Parking is right across the street. There are numerous restaurants and shops within walking distance. Oh, and coffee shops. The pool was open but I never had a chance to use it. The hot tub was not. Grabbed breakfast and coffee offsite. My room was quiet and clean. What more could I really ask for?

Date of stay: March 2021
Troy Bergeron, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future. Our goal is to make your stay better and brighter. If something isn't just the way you like it, simply let any Team Member know, and we will make it right.

Reviewed 13 March 2021

I booked a two stay and had to cancel because something came up. I cancelled two hrs later and there charging me $140 fee ridiculous! I wouldn’t recommend this place especially when you have kids and things happen.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank mbonilla26
Troy Bergeron, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2021

Thank you for taking the time to report your concerns. We do not have any registered guests with the last name Bonilla in March, so I am not able to look into this specific reservation assist you with a possible resolution. There is a 24 hour change / cancellation policy that is agreed to when booking any reservation, this was reduced from 48 hours last year to allow guests more opportunity to make changes.

Reviewed 8 February 2021 via mobile

From reservation thru check out this is a nice hotel. Reception staff was very welcoming. All COVID compliance requirements were followed. The location is ideal for roaming the city, shops, restaurants and attractions. Our room on the 5th floor was comfortable with plenty of space to spread out. The linens were spotless & the bathroom clean with great fluffy towels. However, there is no free on site parking so you must go to the public garage & pay $2 per hour to leave the car. There are only a few street side spaces available. So beware of that added cost & inconvenience when booking your room. There is no restaurant or bar in this facility but many are very close by. We would stay here again.

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank FlossEm77
Troy Bergeron, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2021

Reviewed 16 December 2020

My bank recently decided to end its rewards program. So much for the Roomba vacuum, I was hoarding my points for. Anyway, I had to cash in or lose out. The best deal was two $100 gift cards for a few different hotel chains and airlines. Being a Hilton guy, the choice was easy. Living during Covid-19 did not give my wife and me much choice in destinations. We happily decided on an overnight, masked up like Butch and Sundance, in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, would ease some of the accumulated "educating our kids at home without teaching degrees" stress. As we discovered this summer, Portsmouth is a beautiful little gem of a town with more restaurants than days in a month and enough specialty gift shops to keep the US out of a trade war with China.

Being the bearers of Hilton Gift cards, we decided to splurge and stay in the center of town at the Hilton Garden Inn. I am a huge fan of Hilton Garden Inns, having stayed at countless properties on business throughout the years. On the surface, this property is no different than the others, but the stay was marred, expectedly, by Covid-19: No vallet, no breakfast, no bar, no restaurant, no pool, and "modified" Housekeeping. The lack of amenities does nothing to the price, by the way. Both Hilton and the management company that owns these locations are not doing much to lure in customers through discounts.

On the other hand, revenue is way down, and the bills need to be paid. So, I rather expected above-average service. It is, after all, the only tool left in the toolbox. Check-in was fast but clinical rather than friendly. The only acknowledgment I received for being a Hilton Gold member was a couple of water bottles pushed through the hole in the plexiglass shield.

The first thing you notice walking through the Hotel's halls are the blue seals on every door. It is reminiscent of the plastic seals on the lids of jars in the supermarket; guarantee of freshness, or in this case, cleanliness. When we got to our room, we dropped our stuff and quickly got ready to go back out to take advantage of the shops before everything closed at 6 pm, early but right timing because we had a 6:15 dinner reservation (look for that review of Ristorante Massimo!). I noticed the thrum in the room. It sounded like a clothes dryer on steroids in need of a WD40 bath. I did not give it much thought.

We were a room or two down from the housekeeping room, and I figured the noise was coming from there and would go away by 5 pm. That never happened. When we returned from dinner around 9 pm and got ready for bed, that constant, loud noise was still droning on. It was too late to want to change rooms, and I was hoping that it would not go all night. My bad. It was still going the next morning. I mentioned this during checkout to a Manager (who had to be called because we were paying with gift cards); he said he would check on it, that's it. No apology, no regrets. I expected more, not because I am a Hilton Honors Gold Member, but because it's tough enough nowadays to attract business. On a side note, the mattress was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on in a Hilton Property. Rock hard.

So, what is the takeaway? Will I return to this property? Maybe, if I am using points. There are many options in and around Portsmouth, including the Homewood Suites we spent a week this summer. Perhaps when the yoke of Covid-19 is gone, the Hilton Garden Inn will be a brighter, friendlier place. But right now, it gets a C+

Date of stay: December 2020
Troy Bergeron, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2020

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at our hotel. As a Hilton Honors member, you are among our most valued guests. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry we did not exceed your expectations. I appreciate the detailed review with your expectations and concerns. We have not heard from any other guests regarding a loud noise in that area of the building, so I appreciate you pointing this out as it is not a normal noise for us, possibly something on the roof with a loose belt or open compartment from one of the recent wind storms. Regarding rates at the hotel, on average our rates are about $50 lower than the same time last year, in the summer they were typically $200 lower than our average peak season rates. I also noticed you mentioned the pool is currently closed, this is not accurate. Our pool has been open for several months, the hot tub is closed, and we are limiting the number of guests that can use the pool at one time. Again, thank you for this feedback, it will help us to find better ways to inform our guests of some of the services that are available at the hotel. Your comments will help us as we continually work to improve our guest experience. Please contact me direct at the email or phone number below if there is anything else we can do for you at this time. We look forward to seeing you again, post COVID, when we can really show you what our hospitality TEAM is capable of.

Reviewed 12 December 2020 via mobile

This was our first visit to area. Hotel is in a great location but parking is very limited. You might find parking spot on a meter next to hotel or there is a parking garage a block away. The meters are watched closely by parking enforcement.
Check in went smoothly. Our room appeared to be clean and was well stocked with towels, toilet paper, etc. We have no complaints from our stay.

Date of stay: December 2020