“Great Local Food ”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed lunch with my wife. A quaint small restaurant, with a solid menu. Enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich, well prepared, wife had BLT loaded with bacon and coffee on a cool day. Nice ambience in a great location. Would like to try breakfast. Open for breakfast and lunch.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

Colby’s Breakfast & Lunch is a very popular eatery located close to downtown Portsmouth. It’s about 1-1/2 blocks from Market Square and a few blocks from the river. It’s in a historic district.

There is metered on-street parking.

The French doors on the front of the building are closed to allow more seating. The entrance is via a walkway on the side of the building.

The décor reflects the building’s history. The hardwood floor appears to be original to the building which was likely built before 1900. The oak tables and wooden chairs add to the cozy charm of the place. Spider plants adorn the sills of the picture windows. Local art decorates the walls.

On arrival, I was greeted and seated promptly at a table next to one of the front windows.

I ordered a Plain Omelet with home fries and wheat toast at $6.99, plus decaf coffee.

It was about a 20-minute wait for my food.

Everything was 100% PERFECT.

The coffee was great.

The omelet was cooked in a pan, so it came out moist, textured, and with round edges and was folded in half as opposed to being cooked on a flattop grill and folded over in 20 dried-up thin sheets. It was a perfect omelet.

The home fries were made with fresh red-skinned potatoes. They were cooked just right – neither half raw nor burnt and dry. They had some moisture. They were seasoned nicely. There appeared to be a red spice used. It was likely paprika as it wasn’t spicy. The home fries were perfect.

The wheat bread was lightly toasted. The toast was perfect.

A fellow at the adjacent table had pancakes with blueberries which were in a separate dish. He’d spooned about half of them onto a pancake. The result was rim-to-rim blueberries. They were the tiny wild Maine blueberries that are sweet and tender. His meal looked so good that I've already decided that my next breakfast there will be the blueberry pancake.

I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast. I rate Colby’s Breakfast & Lunch at a perfect 5.0.

One last fact: Colby’s takes Visa and MasterCard.

If you found this review helpful, please click THANK below.

3  Thank Maurene_K
Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

This place is so good, we went on Friday afternoon for lunch and back again Sunday for breakfast.
The Waite ring staff are very welcoming and accommodating with specific food requests as my wife can be rather particular.
The cinnamon swirl French toast is a revelation. The omelette special - sausage with Swiss & mushroom was delightful and the coffee is smooth as...

Reviewed 13 May 2018

Depends on what you get I guess. I had a basic breakfast. My egg was tough and
overcooked. Some of my home fries were okay, some pieces were very tough and seemed like they had sat on the stove top way too long.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Found this place by accident on a rainy day in Portsmouth, NH. What a delight!
I had a Quesadilla with roasted vegetables! Cannot tell you how delicious it was. I also had a marg. with it.

Since then, I have been back there for repeats of my fare! and will continue to do so!