“Maybe charming 50 years ago but not now”
Review of Inn of Cape May

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
Inn of Cape May
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Reviewed 17 August 2017

My wife and I along with 2 of our daughters ages 23 and 28 stayed at The Inn of Cape may the 2nd week of August. We never stay at the Inn before so we did not know what to expect. Although I checked and saw mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, we figured “how bad can to be. I don’t understand and can’t explain how some people think this place is so charming, “Charming” has passed this place a long time ago. We booked a, I guess it was 2-bedroom suite with 1 queen size bed in one room and 2 twins in the second. They should call it the “Herman Munster Suite”. It was very unappealing in every aspect from the curtains to the lighting, bedding, walls, furniture, etc. When the A/C went on it sounded like a freight train was passing by. The drains for the tub and bathroom sink back up and that’s with very low water pressure.
Speaking of furniture…there isn’t one comfortable chair in the entire hotel. Randomly placed torn and tattered couches and upholstered chairs in the corridors and common areas.
They’re also proud to let you know they have the oldest working elevator in New Jersey that’s the size of shoebox and seems boarder line dangerous, we used the stairs.
Towels for the pool/beach are available at the front desk just make sure they are returned at the end of the day. The second day we inadvertently brought the towels up to our room, we figured we just exchange them in the morning. My daughter brought the towels down to the front desk and she got reprimanded for not bringing the towels back at the end of the previous day. The woman behind the front desk actually said they were going to charge us $10 each for the towels…Really? I’m on vacation, I would like to be treated that way. We weren’t checking out and stealing your crappy towels. This is in addition to other rules you’ll need to follow, So much for leisure.
The pool…the pool is small with cloudy water and it’s shared with the Avondale Motel next door. You need to give your name and room number to the gentleman sitting near the gate, because I’m sure tons of people are dying to sneak in. And don’t even think about eating anything at the pool, like licorice as we did and were told “No Eating at the Pool Area”.
Breakfast was included in our booking. Let me correct myself - an allowance for breakfast was included. $47.03 per day for the 4 of us. Not sure how they came up with that amount for 4 people but if you go over you have to pay the difference. Not a big deal but I thought it was odd. Although we only had breakfast I have to say the food was very good.
All in all, I had a wonderful time with my family and was happiest when we left. We will never consider going back for any reason.

Room Tip: Get a room at a different Hotel/motel
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank GYP10
There are newer reviews for Inn of Cape May

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We had three rooms to attend a family reunion and overall had a great time staying here. That being said, this hotel, while charming, has been altered to retrofit rooms from its original floor plan. The construction and improvements are both crude and cheap, as well as old. Nothing has been updated except to add air conditioning and it's a hodge podge of fixtures and random furnishings that are also for sale that make it very cluttered. One of our rooms had three roof leaks during a rain storm. The shower in our room had no consistency in temperature-it would decide to be cold or hot entirely on its own. Our bed was supposed to be a queen, but appeared to be a full and was way too soft. The room furnishings are old and of garage sale quality. I will say the place was very clean. The owners are obviously making a lot of money without putting anything into hotel improvements or substantial maintenance.

The location is perfect across from the beach and close to the charming downtown. The restaurant had a great menu and the food was excellent, especially the breakfasts and friendly service. A breakfast allowance is included in your rate. Happy hour had a good variety of drinks and food.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Such a delightful, classic Victorian property rich in history. While the rooms are all very comfortable & clean, they are older. If you appreciate old style elegance, you will enjoy staying here.
The on-site restaurant has a fabulous menu for both breakfast & dinner. Try the mussels w/bleu cheese!
Location is spot on - close to shopping area and across from beach.
Relax on the covered porch on a rocker and a cocktail !

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

My friends and I wanted to take a trip to a quaint vacation town. We chose historic Cape May. We ended up booking during prime season and split the cost of the room. The inn is definitely historic! Many of the reviews noted that the inn was run down, but again, it is historic. Our room and the lobby bathrooms were very clean. I was relieved when I saw how clean our bathroom and the bedding was. The bar and restaurant service were great. Prime season prices are steep, but splitting the room was much more cost effective. We enjoyed our stay, and our beach view from the pool.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

This hotel has so much character and is in such a great location. We were there for a romantic getaway and it was just fine. Although if you like more modern amenities like in room safe, mini fridge and a room that isn't sloped inward then this location isn't for you. The large front porch with rocking chairs was so nice but the smoking was a turn off. You literally have to walk through people smoking to get in the front door. We mentioned this to the front desk but nothing was done. They insisted that smoking was only in one location but didn't enforce that. It was quite a turn off.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple