“Outstanding”

Salt Marsh Safari-The Skimmer
Ranked #1 of 28 Tours in Cape May
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Excellent experience with awesome instructors we learned a lot and they went over and beyond to make us happy, I can't wait to go again

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We are big time bird watchers and love the opportunity to bird areas the marshes up close. This was our 2nd or 3rd time on the Skimmer and the first time out of the Wetlands Institute. I always learn something on these trips and I am impressed by the crews knowledge of the area. We will definitely go back on the Skimmer!

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Salt marsh safari that left from Cape May.
Depending on the day/time, there is another boat that departs from the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor. As far as I know, there is no difference between the two other than the location and getting the opportunity to visit the institute as well.

After leaving the dock, the destination begins literally 100 yards away and explores the marshes along the eastern edge of Jarvis sound. The high tide allowed us to get closer and go into areas we would have not otherwise been able to go.

The crewmen were friendly and informative. The captain having a formal education in marine biology and the naturalist's expertise was bird life.

Saw some good birds, turtles, spidercrabs, mussels, starfish, welk, etc... (the latter were brought onboard for hands on experience) and learned about the vegetation and ecosystem.

My only disappointment was that I had arrived with the expectation that this was going to be similar to a fan boat and we would be going into very shallow waters versus being in the deeper open water in the outer edge of the bay. For The most part, the average depth of the water we were in was around 12 feet vs. 2 feet mentioned on their website.

Even though I grew up with boats, I thought it was worth the time and money because personally I have always had a fascination with salt marshes and its inhabitants. However, other folks who did not grow up on the water, simply enjoyed the novelty of spending a couple hours out on the boat.

Because it is relatively reasonable, I would recommend this to others who have the interest. It is fun for all ages especially children. The specific trip we did was the 'sunset' which allowed us to bring beer/wine although nobody really did and they served cheese/crackers and fruit plate. I would recommend bringing some snacks for the kids otherwise you'll end up forking over $ for overpriced drinks and chips sold on the boat. Lastly, be prepared with cash to tip the crew afterwards.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

We had an awesome time, Trevor and Josh were excellent hosts/guides and we learned a lot during our tour. Most importantly, our kids (ages 2 and 4) had a blast and loved the interactive nature of the ride. Highly recommended!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 September 2017

We spent a really informative and pleasant afternoon out on the boat with Travis and Josh - the captain and the naturalist. They provided a laid-back, informative environment - and taught us a lot about the wild birds and sea life in the marshes. When the kids' interest started to wane later in the tour, Josh pulled a cooler of sea creatures out, which instantly captivated them. Highly recommend.