“Don't Recommend Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands For Quiet Stay Or Helpful Front Desk Staff”

Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Carlstadt
Reviewed 2 May 2017

I think it's important to start by saying that you need to have reasonable expectations in life. You don't stay at a Holiday Inn with customer service and facility expectations that you might have of a Ritz-Carlton. Although I'm a Holiday Inn Priority Club Rewards member, my primary criteria for choosing a hotel is a clean and quiet room, followed by price so I'll stay at other hotel chains as well based on reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites. With that being said, I've stayed at Holiday Inn's around the World and the US and had great experiences.

However, I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands twice over the last few years and neither time had an acceptable experience. Back in 2014 when I checked in I was given a room that was a complete disaster. Not only was the room a complete mess with the prior guests leftover food all over, towels and sheets not changed, etc. but it took approximately 60 minutes to be provided a room that was ready for occupancy.

Most recently I made a reservation and requested a quiet room specifying a higher floor; away from ice & vending machines; away from the elevators; away from the main road and the maid closet. When I checked in I asked the front desk staff person whose name I believe was either Maria or Veronica whether they were able to accommodate my requests she said yes although it appeared she wasn't familiar with the layout of the hotel nor did she have a floor plan of the hotel she could refer to since she called the maid staff supervisor asking for help. Maria/Veronica seemed very evasive when I asked her a few question about the hotel as if I was asking her to share Holiday Inn trade secrets which was strange. When I went to the room (Odd numbered room) it was on a higher floor, but close to the main road and close to the elevator. The road noise was considerable. I called the front desk and asked if they could do better. Robert took my call and said he would call me back in about 15 minutes if he could find a more suitable room after I explained specifically what I was seeking. About 45 minutes later I received a call from Robert to let me know they had another room ready. When I entered that room I noticed it appeared to be adjacent to the maid closet so I asked the cleaning staff supervisor if my assumption was correct and she indicated it was in fact where they keep their carts and supplies. I explained why I was asking and she suggested a room away from the maid closet and on the back side of the hotel (The even numbered rooms such as X04) and said based on what I had told her she couldn't understand why the front desk staff would have recommended that room since there were better rooms available. Therefore, while the second room was further from the road, but not ideal for road noise since it wasn't on the back side of the hotel. It was now closer to the elevators and the maid closet then the first room. At this point I was unable to spend anymore time making another room change and had to get going.

With those two negative experiences at this Holiday Inn I recommend considering another hotel in the area. When I booked my room at the Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands there were rooms available at the Fairfield Inn East Rutherford which is about a quarter mile away at approximately $15 less a night so I would suggest giving them a try first.

In terms of the rest of my experience the room was fairly clean and good size. I didn't use the small indoor pool which looks worn. The breakfast bar area is kept clean, well stocked and the selection & food quality is good. The cleaning staff supervisor was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and should probably be working at the front desk. The free parking was ample. The hotel is fairly close to a bus stop that will take you to NYC in approximately 20 minutes with a few stops on the way.

Room Tip: Back side (Even number) have a view of NYC & quieter. 3rd flr or higher although there will be s...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Do_Not_Travel_Enough
Flore D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2017

Dear Valued Guest,
We want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that occur during your stay with us.
It is our goal to consistently provide great customer service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guest, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be provided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

We have another date booked in the summer so we will try one more time, but by far the noisiest hotel we have ever stayed in (and we travel often). We were getting settled in around 11 pm when a bus load of teens from Canada were making all kinds of noise. Plus every door on the floor seemed to squeak incredibly loudly. Also we could hear whenever people upstairs walked around. Truck traffic was very loud directly outside too. Breakfast is definitely below even Hampton Inn as well. On plus side the room was immaculate and wifi is good. As I stated earlier we have another occasion to be in the area in a few months so I will report back candidly at that time. Hopefully this was just an anomaly but you could tell the walls are paper thin and all hallway noise is very loud.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Flore D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Dear Valued Guest,
We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place. As soon as we arrived, it looked really promising. This is an updated, modern property that is impressive on first glance. However, after check-in, things went downhill.

First, we were given a king jacuzzi room for a family of four. That room sleeps two. When we went back downstairs will ALL of our luggage and two young kids, the desk clerk acted surprised that we might need a room that sleeps more people.

After we went back upstairs, we found that our new room (a king with a pullout sofa) had so much additional furniture that we had to rearrange the room and stack furniture just to open the sofa bed. Then we discovered we had a phone that did not work, a door that would not lock, and pillows that should have been replaced LONG ago. The filling was broken and separated. No way anyone could get a peaceful night of sleep on those things.

I went downstairs to inform them of these issues and waited over 10 minutes while people in front of me were checked in. No big deal. It became a big deal when a group of about 50 teenagers entered the door, and several of them jumped ahead of the line and went right to the desk to ask for additional items for their rooms. Here's the kicker...the desk staff served them even though it was obvious there was a line of people who had been waiting! I was patient until that moment.

Then the next morning, we had the pleasure of "enjoying" breakfast with the same group of rude teenagers. Again, wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the fact that the breakfast area is entirely too small with too few tables for a property this size.

We are IHG Spire Elite members, but it's unlikely we'll ever return.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Casey S
Flore D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2017

Reviewed 4 April 2017

If you're driving to NYC, parking at Secaucus Junction rail stop to Penn Station, and looking for a place to spend the night, this is it. Very clean and quiet. Access from road is bit tricky; follow your GPS! Also near the upscale Charles P Rogers Bed warehouse outlet on Rt 17 in East Rutherford.

Room Tip: front facing rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Flore D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write such a nice review. We are happy to hear that we were at your satisfaction during your recent stay with us. I am delighted our staff made it comfortable and enjoyable for you. We strive to provide our guests with best attentive services at a value conscious price. And I am glad that we are successful in our efforts to make you most happy. We expect your future stay at our property will be your wonderful recall.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

Typical HIE - clean updated and close to NYC. Service fine. Access difficult. If you want a cheap place close to NYC, you won't go wrong here. Bed is comfortable as is typical with HIE I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Flore D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express & Suites for your recent stay in Carlstadt NJ. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.
It is very important for us that our guests’ experiences are shared. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon at the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlstadt
1.7 km away
0.8 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
2.9 km away
Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - East Rutherford

Been to Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands? Share your experiences!