I think it's important to start by saying that you need to have reasonable expectations in life. You don't stay at a Holiday Inn with customer service and facility expectations that you might have of a Ritz-Carlton. Although I'm a Holiday Inn Priority Club Rewards member, my primary criteria for choosing a hotel is a clean and quiet room, followed by price so I'll stay at other hotel chains as well based on reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites. With that being said, I've stayed at Holiday Inn's around the World and the US and had great experiences.
However, I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands twice over the last few years and neither time had an acceptable experience. Back in 2014 when I checked in I was given a room that was a complete disaster. Not only was the room a complete mess with the prior guests leftover food all over, towels and sheets not changed, etc. but it took approximately 60 minutes to be provided a room that was ready for occupancy.
Most recently I made a reservation and requested a quiet room specifying a higher floor; away from ice & vending machines; away from the elevators; away from the main road and the maid closet. When I checked in I asked the front desk staff person whose name I believe was either Maria or Veronica whether they were able to accommodate my requests she said yes although it appeared she wasn't familiar with the layout of the hotel nor did she have a floor plan of the hotel she could refer to since she called the maid staff supervisor asking for help. Maria/Veronica seemed very evasive when I asked her a few question about the hotel as if I was asking her to share Holiday Inn trade secrets which was strange. When I went to the room (Odd numbered room) it was on a higher floor, but close to the main road and close to the elevator. The road noise was considerable. I called the front desk and asked if they could do better. Robert took my call and said he would call me back in about 15 minutes if he could find a more suitable room after I explained specifically what I was seeking. About 45 minutes later I received a call from Robert to let me know they had another room ready. When I entered that room I noticed it appeared to be adjacent to the maid closet so I asked the cleaning staff supervisor if my assumption was correct and she indicated it was in fact where they keep their carts and supplies. I explained why I was asking and she suggested a room away from the maid closet and on the back side of the hotel (The even numbered rooms such as X04) and said based on what I had told her she couldn't understand why the front desk staff would have recommended that room since there were better rooms available. Therefore, while the second room was further from the road, but not ideal for road noise since it wasn't on the back side of the hotel. It was now closer to the elevators and the maid closet then the first room. At this point I was unable to spend anymore time making another room change and had to get going.
With those two negative experiences at this Holiday Inn I recommend considering another hotel in the area. When I booked my room at the Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands there were rooms available at the Fairfield Inn East Rutherford which is about a quarter mile away at approximately $15 less a night so I would suggest giving them a try first.
In terms of the rest of my experience the room was fairly clean and good size. I didn't use the small indoor pool which looks worn. The breakfast bar area is kept clean, well stocked and the selection & food quality is good. The cleaning staff supervisor was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and should probably be working at the front desk. The free parking was ample. The hotel is fairly close to a bus stop that will take you to NYC in approximately 20 minutes with a few stops on the way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just minutes away from New York City and Izod Center, the Holiday Inn Express & Suites is your best choice in Carlstadt. You ll find the things that are most important to whether you re here for business or pleasure. The Holiday Inn Express & Suites is the ideal destination. Imagine having all the space and tools you need for business, high speed Internet, 24-hour business center, faxing, and copying is available to you. And if you re here for pleasure you are just minutes away from Garden State Plaza Shopping Mall, Secaucus Outlets, great dining locations, and at the end of the day enjoy our indoor heated pool for relaxation. No matter what brings you to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites your room is your personal retreat. The key word is comfort with great bedding, modern dÃ©cor and all the cable, sports, and movie channels you need. The Holiday Inn Express & Suites is a favorite business and leisure visitors to Carlstadt and we want to become your favorite too. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands Hotel Carlstadt
- Holiday Inn Express Carlstadt
- Holiday Inn Carlstadt
- Carlstadt Holiday Inn