“Just Ok”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: White Horse Pike
Reviewed 21 October 2016

I went to Elements during SJ Fall Harvest Restaurant Week. I've been wanting to go for a few years because the menu sounded interesting. It's a BYOB, but you can order bottles. We ordered soft drinks because we don't drink. The food is ok, but nothing memorable. I wouldn't go back.

Arrival: Seated quickly. It's a bit dark, but you can still see everything.

Service: Our waitress, Rebecca, was really nice and helpful. When I needed my meat done more to my liking, she quickly took it away and dealt with it.

Food: Bread and butter is provided. We ordered the following --> Goat Cheese Crostini (cranberry mustard) & Corn & Shrimp Dumplings (1st course); Butternut Squash Soup & Bibb Lettuce Salad (2nd course); Grilled Lamb Chops and Jumbo Lump Crab (3rd course); and Pear and Blackberry Tart & Apple Cinnamon Sorbet w/ Rosemary Biscotti. The first course was fine. I like the dumplings because you could taste every single ingredient. The second course was ok as well. My husband loved his salad, but it was just a simple garden salad to me. The soup needed salt and the little bits of pancetta were helpful, Still, it needed salt. Third course, my lamb was under my liking. The chef refired and it was done quickly. I enjoyed it much better, but it still lacked seasoning/salt (which I finally just asked for and it was supplied). The meat was tough and chewy. I know it was cooked more, but there's still a way to make it soft. Also, it was tough even prior to re-firing it. The croquettes that accompanied the lamb didn't make sense to me. The dish itself was just odd and not satisfying. Again, it was fine to eat, just not knock-your-socks off good. My husband enjoyed his crab and I had a few bites, but it lacked seasoning to me. For dessert, the tart on its own was a bit boring. We mixed the sorbet I got to elevate it a bit and that worked. I'm not a fan of biscotti, but I ate it all.

We ate everything because it's small plates style and I didn't eat much during the day so I was hungry. We were full, but I didn't feel satisfied by the meal. I don't know what could have been done to make it better. I think they would have certainly tried if I said more, but we were on a time constraint with our babysitter. The meal was enjoyed by the other patrons, I could tell, but it just didn't hit the spot for me. I'm thankful for the gift cards we received however.

Reviewed 31 August 2016

I frequently travel both International and domestic. I therefore, have a broad experience with restaurants.
This restaurant has service minus the smile or warmth, add to the ridiculously high price for food.
3 pieces of charred bitter broccoli, a few pieces of cubed beets on 5 thin slices of cucumber, and (eat dinner before you get there), when you order the breast of duck.
Three pieces of 2 inches by 1 inch chewy bland and tasteless morsels.

These 3 smaller than appetizer portions will empty your wallet for 30.00.
Way too much for a place with no ambiance nor super good service.

fook3414, Owner at Elements Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2016

Wow, how interesting, we got the exact same review by a woman named Joanne on google just 2 days ago--word for word even-- wow. Well our restaurant isn't for everyone and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy. We do try our best and will continue to try to do better.

Thanks

Reviewed 28 August 2016

Small storefront in Haddon Heights delivered great variety and quality. Attended as a part of a large group dinner. Was very impressed with the breadth of the menu;'s range; even more so with what was delivered. Really good cooking, not what I expected in this small town. Menu structured toward small plate offerings, so sampling several serves you well. Very friendly staff. Recommended!

fook3414, Owner at Elements Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

Thanks so much Brian. I'm really happy you enjoyed everything and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2016

Great service even before I walked in the door. Called the restaurant for some info. The person who answered wasn't sure but a 1/2 later they called me back and answered my questions. It made me feel like they really cared about my business. So I made a reservation. SOOO DELIGHTED I did. The ambiance is charming with two window seats. Rebecca was a sweet, engaging and attentive server. The food was beyond delicious from the grilled vegetable and goat cheese crustini, romaine salad, basil gnocchi to the apple and almond cake. Each dish was beautifully plated, unique and delicious. If you're like me and not a fan of the usual heavy gnocchi you're in for a pleasant surprise. The chef hand makes this pasta and it melts in your mouth...so fresh and seasoned to perfection. Great value for the $$. Adding this restaurant to my favorites! Added bonus...there are several shops along the street to stop in and browse...one in particular is My Fair Trade Lady lots of very cool things from various countries supporting fair trade.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

A great place to go for that special meal. Friendly, and great food. You can BYO wine and now they have a winery right in the restaurant. NJ wines have gotten very nice. The menu is always balanced and very flavorful.