Westminster Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Garden Plaza Hotel(West Orange)
View Hotel
All reviewsstrip housenice hotelgarden levelshuttle servicewedding partybusiness tripbed was very comfortablenew jerseyfront desk staffenjoyed my stayindoor poolfitness centerbagelspopsrobehallwaytoiletries
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is located in Livingston and offers all you need for a nice stay: Fitness, pool, restaurant and of course nice rooms. Overall I liked the quiet rooms with good beds. The rooms are spaceous. Personnel was very helpful and friendly. There was nothing to complain about.
On the other hand it is not a hotel that is in any way special. The restaurant is overpriced allthough very good. In this region it is certainly the best hotel.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Alexander H
Westminster M, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Alexander H,
Thank you for sharing your review with us. We appreciate the great compliments and are delighted to know that the hotel amenities met your expectations. Thank you for staying with us and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The Westminster Hotel exceeded my expectations. It was easy to reserve a room over the phone. Check in was fast & efficient. The room was newly renovated. It was clean and comfortable. The staff was polite, courteous and accommodating. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear SueDale,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westminster Hotel.
We greatly appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Please know that your kind words will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Where to start? As has been said in other reviews, the vast majority of the hotel staff were rude and insincere. Check-in was actually not too bad although I was given no details about wifi or anything. My card was essentially taken and swiped and I was told about $75 per day for incidentals. I don't even think the person looked me in the eye once.

I get to the room and at first glance it looks quite nice. Until you actually look closer at the furniture. It is cheap and flimsy. There was dust on all of the lamp shades. The heating didn't work and even after asking for maintenance to be done on it nobody did anything about it. I had to engineer my own solution by covering the air vent with a towel to reduce airflow - it was freezing cold! This continued for the duration of my 2 week stay. The shower is poorly designed; in order to switch on the tap you need to get in the shower but it is one of those taps where you need to swing it all the way around to get to the warm setting. This required a level of dexterity that not everyone has so I can only presume half of people get wet trying to switch the shower on to let it heat up before jumping in.

Now, this is NOT an exaggeration...almost every time I called the front desk, or restaurant, for a shuttle or room service, without fail I would get put on hold at least once if not 2 or 3 times. I recently called the hotel up to ask them for a receipt (they didn't give me one when they (FINALLY!) charged my corporate card!). Yes, I had to chase them for a receipt and first got fobbed off to Expedia who gladly helped me by calling the hotel up. Yet again the hotel messed up - they should have helped me the first time I asked for the receipt - no apologies given. Not only did they mess up the receipt but I relayed my email address to Expedia who CORRECTLY read back my email address and gave it on to the hotel. I waited and waited...and waited. Still no email. So then phoned the hotel again and spoke to a very rude 'Irene' (her name has come up before in these reviews!). I must have gotten 10 words into my first sentence and I was abruptly put on hold without warning. Eventually she comes back with, "Yes!!!??!!!". I then begin to remind her about my previous phone call and the Expedia call. I said that I hadn't gotten the email through. I asked her to read the email she had - it was wrong. She proceeded to blame the LOVELY and very HELPFUL Expedia customer service agent. In any case, she corrected the email and sent it out.

This review could really go on for much much longer but I will mention just three more incidents:

We were snowed in one night and there were many power company contractors staying in the hotel to deal with broken lines etc. So, I get it - the hotel was busy and I could expect a disruption in some service. I ended up calling for room service just before 9pm. I waited a full hour before checking on the order - I knew they must be busy. I called the restaurant. They said don't worry it's on it's way - they didn't check my name, room number...nothing. I presumed they knew it was me through caller ID etc. So, I patiently waited for another 30 minutes and then took a (long) walk to the desk. The lady working at the front desk was flirting with a customer and another staff member for a few minutes before getting to me. Again very little eye-contact or care, she checks the order...it wasn't even entered into the system. I ask for the manager. The manager comes out trying to throw all excuses he can barely being apologetic. I eventually get my food sent up to me at 11:00pm - I had to get up at 05:00am. They didn't charge me for the food.

Another time I ordered room service (food and beer) my beer wasn't brought up, nor was the receipt. I paid for the beer separately by cash. I informed the person on the phone I was going to separate these checks. The server (who was actually a shuttle driver and not a server) went back to get the beer and receipt but came back with just the beer. He asked me for the money but I said I need the receipt first. He was bemused but eventually went down to get the receipt. He comes back with the receipt but I am now being double-charged for room-service because the beer is on a separate check. All the while my food is getting cold. He goes back to get the receipt amended but comes back again with nothing. He tells me the price and guarantees me he will bring the receipt and correct change. He comes back with a corrected receipt but the wrong change. I left it at that as my food was getting cold. I eventually got to my food which was terrible.

Finally, I had an afternoon shuttle pick up arranged for each day. Mind you, they arranged it for an hour later than I asked but that's another story. A few times I didn't need the shuttle as a colleague was happy to give me a lift to the hotel. Without fail, every time I called the hotel to cancel the shuttle I would get put on hold numerous times. A couple of those times they kept me on hold for 15 minutes by which time the shuttle driver had probably left to pick me up.

In summary, the hotel is a complete disgrace and shambles. Almost none of the staff that work there look like they care or want to be there. They certainly don't seem to care about the customers. The services is terrible. The food is hit or miss. The shuttle service was terrible (the drivers were mostly very nice though!). I DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!!!

Room Tip: Just don't choose one
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Dear Sean M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, please accept our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations. As a AAA 4 Diamond property for the past 15 consecutive years, your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.
During the major snow storm Nor'Easter, we did experience some challenges which caused a level of disruption in some hotel services, but please know that we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. I would love to discuss further your experience with you, and see if there is anything we can do to make this right for you. Please reach out to me directly at zbingol@westminsterhotel.net. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

I agree with others that the shuttle service was poor. I also found upon check-in that there were multiple suspicious stains on the carpet and bedding (!) in the room. I was switched to another room but the whole process took too long and I got the sense staff viewed me as a problem customer. I just wanted clean, sanitary accommodations.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Aaron S
Westminster M, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Dear Aaron S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your most recent stay with us. We are dismayed to learn that your experience was less than expected. Please be assured that we strive to provide the best possible service and guest comfort. Additionally, room cleanliness are of the utmost importance to us. If possible, please reach out to me directly at zbingol@westminsterhotel.net with your confirmation number. We strive to improve with every stay and your feedback will help us to improve the experience of future guests. We are looking forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Clean, modern and new rooms at this local Livingston hotel. Well kept and located in convenient location. Easy and simple check in, comfortable rooms with nice products, bar/ restaurant fair, could have had a better breakfast option on a Sat a.m.

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank LHESNYC

Dear LHESNYC,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased to hear that your room was comfortable and our location suited your needs.We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.