“Great food, fast friendly service!”
Review of The Chowda House

The Chowda House
Ranked #54 of 148 Restaurants in Red Bank
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Delicious Seafood dishes and Clam Chowdas daily. Lobster Roll and Lobster meals daily. Also have non seafood times i.E. BBQ Chicken, Chicken Sandwiches and Salads. Casual Dining with a nice outside, seasonal dining area. Available for events too. Located directly across from the Red Bank train station.
Reviewed 9 December 2016 via mobile

Been there about five times already, and always leave satisfied and full! I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEIR SOUPS! Previously I enjoyed their shrimp scampi, and shrimp salad. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 2 December 2016

We ordered soup (which was good), a salad (which was marginal), oysters (which were just okay), and clams. One taste of the clam and I told my husband to not eat any. They were obviously not fresh. We called the waitress over. She apologized and said she would take the remaining clams back to the chef and let him know. She returned saying the chef said there was nothing wrong with the clam he tasted. We were offered 2 more oysters for the inconvenience. This restaurant is a "one and done" for us.

1  Thank 916josephined
Reviewed 26 August 2016

The Chowda House has the potential to be a great restaurant; however, it does not live up to what you would expect from a solid Red Bank seafood restaurant. The reason I came was to get the Tuesday oyster special - turns out its not as good of a special as you can get at other places like Bonney Read in Asbury Park who have one dollar buck-a-shuck.

The steamed PEI mussels were extremely disappointing. Though they give you a lot, they had freezer burn, not enough sauce, and the bread... as mentioned in other reviews... was stale for me as well. Not quality seafood. The pricing is way too high for seafood like this. I would be much happier going elsewhere and paying more for better quality.

The outdoor seating area of the restaurant has potential to be great but it needs to be updated with better service. Upon arrival, I noticed the "HELP WANTED" sign on the door. It immediately gave me an impression of the restaurant.

1  Thank Kelly W
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Direct from grandmas's Rhode Island recipe, this is wonderful stuff to warm the soul. Okay, I have sort of gotten used to the Manhattan style "red" chowder having lived in the NY area for many years. But the only "real" choder is New England style and everything else is just soup. They have other seafood based menu items in a relaxed setting in West Red Bank. But don't miss the signature chowder.

Reviewed 9 July 2016

Could have been a contender, but we started with steamers. We got 10, count 'em, 10 steams for $14... c'mon. No bread served. Had to ask for it. Bread was stale. My wife was craving softshell crab, and they had it. They had the nerve to serve one, count 'em, one crab on the plate with rice for $19... c'mon. I ordered their signature fish and chips--that was excellent and the best value on the menu as is turned out for $14.

You don't get salads with meals. If you do want a salad, you don't get a starch or veggie.

Food was very good, but the portions were ridiculous. Felt nickel and dimed here, and I don't like that feeling. Waitress brought us two tiny pieces of watermelon (old) as a peace offering after we mentioned our dismay at only one softshell crab (never was served just one before) at any restaurant we've visited.

Oh well, could have been a good dining experience, as food was tasty, but wifey says "not going back."

1  Thank loulombo