“Great little Japanese grocery”
Review of J Mart

J Mart
Ranked #81 of 138 Restaurants in Ridgewood
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Spotlessly clean, and with a cheerful staff, this little store has a fascinating array of Japanese produce, canned goods, dried foods, beverages, etc.
They also make sushi and sashimi on site: fresh and tasty, and not too expensive. (take-out only)

4  Thank TreborRemag
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This is a well maintained Japanese grocery store. They offer hundreds of products from Japan from tea to rice to vegetables to tiny dried fish to ice cream. They also have a large section of Japanese DVDs, the bulk being anime I presume. The reason I am writing a review on TripAdvisor as a restaurant is due to the fact they have a sushi chef on hand at all times in the back of the store who prepares sushi and sashimi to order. As a vegetarian my options are limited but what I have tried at J mart has been by far the freshest tasting and most delicious sushi I have ever tried! My family are all omnivores and they agreed that the sushi/sashimi at J mart is better quality and tasting than at Sakura in Wyckoff, NJ or at Golden Dynasty in Franklin Lakes, NJ. The prices are very reasonable and the final product is a work of art. A tell tale sign, to me, that this place knows good food and sushi in particular is that the wasabi the serve is real, not "Western wasabi" which is horseradish, mustard, starch and green food coloring and the ginger served with the sushi was not artificially dyed, which some places do at an attempt to make the ginger appear to be fresher/younger.

I would give this place 5 out of 5 stars but since they only offer sushi I'm not sure if a 5 star rating is justifiable, then again if I'm rating them solely on their food it deserves 5 stars. Hmmm...

Oh yeah, another WONDERFUL thing about this place is that they have fresh veggies including shishito peppers and Japanese cucumbers!! My favorite noodle shop in NYC, Ippudo, has two appetizers I LOVE, one being the fried shishito peppers with lemon juice and a side of yuzu salt and the other is a Japanese cucumber sliced with a sesame seeds and a soy dressing. Thanks to J mart I can purchase these hard-to-find Japanese vegetables and re-create these two appetizers at home! The only other place I have ever seen them for sale was at the Sunrise Mart in NYC.

Please note: There are no tables, wait staff, or anything like that. You order sushi and take it home to eat. It's a grocery store with a sushi chef and fresh ingredients.