“Took waaaaaay too long”

Tuscany Grill
Ranked #69 of 114 Restaurants in Somerset
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 24 February 2016 via mobile

I was staying at the doubletree and arrived around 8:45. I wasn't sure if I needed dinner but was hungry at check in and just wanted to get something at the hotel restaurant. I sat at the bar and was greeted promptly. I asked for a wine list and menu which I was given. I ordered a glass of wine and the sesame salmon. Now, I'm not exaggerating because I checked my phone we to confirm the time. After I ordered I made a phone call. The phone call was at 9:03pm. At 9:32 I asked the bartender the status on my food. He asked what name the order was under. First sign of a problem was I was never asked for my name to place the order and I don't think I've ever been asked for my name when ordering somewhere. By the amount of use of the touch screen he was doing this was signaling to me the order was never put in. He did go back to the kitchen and returned without food. This is the explanation I was given (paraphrased). ..."the refrigerator the salmon was in for too cold and froze the salmon. They want to make sure it is cooked so it is taking longer". Ok, reality check. I cook extensively. Baking a single serving of salmon takes 10-12min. If somehow a piece was frozen, it can be thawed in a water bath and with cooking, maybe a half hour total. But you mean to tell me at 9pm, they just realized the refrigerator they have been taking food out of all day is freezing things and they didn't take any action until 9pm to thaw frozen items. Come on...Oh, and when did I get my food? 9:57pm. Nearly one hour after ordering. This is the reason I tend not to eat at a hotel restaurant and go somewhere near by. This was completely mismanaged. I did get an apology at the 30min mark but not when the food came nearly an hour after ordering. It seemed the staff was more mediocre bar tenders that were forced to serve food as well. The food itself was fine. Salmon, white rice, asparagus/baby carrots, and a wasabi cream sauce. The breakdown to service is just not acceptable. While I don't know for sure that the excessively cold refrigerator was legit, the probably of that actually being the case is low. If anything the kitchen should have relayed the message to the server who then should tell the customer it's going to take extra time. I'm not buying the story because the timeline doesn't make sense and the action taken was subpar in the minimal chance it was true. I am literally writing this review as I sit at the bar so it is fresh in my mind. I plan on telling the front desk the situation as well before my departure.

Reviewed 15 October 2015

Had dinner here the other night and had a cooked to order steak covered with a delicious blue cheese along with a great side of mushrooms. Staff was attentive and courteous and boxed up a raspberry cheesecake for the room. Enjoyed it very much, thank you!

Reviewed 7 September 2015

Located right inside the Double tree hotel. The breakfast buffet was really nice, with lots of selections to choose from. You do get it free if you're a Diamond, but it wasn't all that expensive even if it wasn't free. Clean and decent service. The dinner menu looked nice, but it seemed a little pricey.

Reviewed 12 August 2015

Good food with a pleasant staff. I have eaten here several times. It is convenient with good service and a menu that is interesting

Reviewed 24 June 2015

The food was good. A little pricey but we were willing to pay for the convenience of staying in tonight as the weather was not very good. It took us a looming time to get our check and the waiter never came to refill our drinks.