“Best Chinese Restaurant In Area Big Take Out Business”

Mr. Wok & Sushi Tenafly
Ranked #21 of 39 Restaurants in Tenafly
Reviewed 9 March 2017

Mr. Wok has been in town for years, is centrally located on the second floor with panoramic window views of downtown Tenafly. There is an elevator to make it wheel chair accessible. The staff is always friendly and accommodating for almost any special requests. The dinner menu is typical Chinese restaurant offerings but always served in a very upscale fashion so that the food doesn't just delight the palate but the eyes and nose. There is also an extensive sushi bar with a very competent chef preparing your request in front of you- fresh. This is a BYOB restaurant but there is a liquor store on the other side of the block and the restaurant will cork and serve at no additional charge. If you make reservations ahead of time they are able to table groups as large as 8 to 10 with no problem. The restaurant is small but they do have several large tables for family gatherings. We have tried almost everything on the menu over the years and the quality and preparation of the food has always been very good. As you sit at your table, you will see how busy they are with take-out and delivery orders however it never detracts from you having a relaxing and attentive dinner at this restaurant.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

They are on the 2nd floor.
Place looks run down. Ceiling tile brownish (used to be white), old carpet and the chairs are worn. They are very friendly. Service was good.
Menu and food just like what you expect from every other Chinese Restaurant.
Not that this is bad, just not my choice.
We had a late lunch en the cooks and other personnel went to sleep with their head on the sushi bar... yak.
I feel bad giving a bad review but I think they know and they can do better and I have to be honest or this review board is useless.

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

Having lived in this area for ten years we can attest to this very good restaurant's food, service and ambiance. Prices are not exorbitant and they offer take-away. (Not sure if they deliver-I think you have to pick up.)
No liquor license but there is a wine and spirits store just up the block for your convenience.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

We have very few sit down Chinese restaurants in the area and decided to come here instead of getting take-out Chinese, which most times is not so great. The physical look of the restaurant is nice and the staff very pleasant and on top of everything. We had a table by a window and had a beautiful view of the sky as the sun was setting. My opinion of the food is mixed. The food was good and the quality, as a whole, was better than take-out places. Here are the things that bothered me. I was disappointed in the complimentary noodles, the quality of which could have come out of a bag from the grocery store. The hot & sour soup was good. We ordered two entrees to share. The Hawaii Five "O" was a dish described as containing lobster, scallops, jumbo shrimp, filet mignon and chicken in a brown sauce. It was tasty enough but I had trouble finding the lobster, and I think there was only one small piece, but it certainly wasn't fresh lobster and tasted like it had some kind of preservative on it. As for the filet mignon, well I think we found two very small pieces of that. The second dish was Hunan Beef, described as crispy fried beef in a brown sauce. These were thin slices of beef with no coating on them so when they were fried, the texture of the meat turned into what my husband described as "puffed Cheetos". There was nothing to protect the meat from the hot frying. A little disappointed and not sure if we'll return.

Reviewed 25 October 2016

I live in Tenafly and have been eating at Mr Wok for years. We have always found the food to our liking. In addition, service is very nice and since I have Celiac Disease (controlled completely by a Gluten Free diet, I very much appreciate that many dishes can be prepared Gluten Free.